Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Where to find vermiculite

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
novicegardener
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Where to find vermiculite Reply with quote

Hi fellow gardeners, i wonder if anyone can help me.im creating a mix known as mels mix for raised beds with a mixture of compost peat and vemiculite i have found the compost and peat but am having a job finding the vermiculite in 100 ltrs bags as i need 510 ltrs in total, just wondering if anyone has come across it in big bags as the garden centres just supply small bags .i have heard it could cost nearly 30 euro a bag so am looking for somwhere i can get a good deal or even buy online.hope someone might know of anywhere.thanks everyone. Confused
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good garden centre would have it in stock. Johnstown have it in large bags. Why do you want vermiculite why not buy Horticulture grit by the ton.
novicegardener

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Greengase for your reply.i might check that out ,it might do the same job for me.i need the vermiculite because im making a mix for raised beds called mels mix which calls for a mixture of compost peat moss and vermiculite,suppossed to be a lighter mix which will eliminate weeds.not sure if it will work but worth a try. Thanks again. Smile
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont believe all you hear or read, Vermiculite helps aerate soil when sowing small seeds or as a cover for small seeds to prevent them drying out like Lettuce or poppies. If I had €500 to spend on my garden I would not spend it on vermuculite.
Hort grit does exactly the same thing helping areate soil and allowing water to percolate down to the roots without the mix becoming waterlogged.
Anyway vermiculite is very light and if you try to dig it in outside on a windy day it will blow around the place it will not stay where it is put. The grit will do the job just as well if not better, when vermiculite gets to wet it will bind together defeating the purpose. Dont mind Mel Bartholemew and his sq foot gardening listen to the people here. Horses for courses we wont set you wrong.
novicegardener

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: