Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Which Mower to buy - Or should I look at an alternative.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
laurpat
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Which Mower to buy - Or should I look at an alternative. Reply with quote

Hi everyone, This is my first post...

Can anyone advise which mower to buy. I'm going a little over kill as my lawn is not overly big, none the less I think i've it narrowed down to the following

Pro-lawn 6.0 3-1 mulching petrol lawnmore €349
http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...catid=102.10.1

The Pro-Lawn has the Briggs and Statton 675 engine which has mixed reviews.

Ryobi Subaru Powerdrive mower €299
http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...catid=102.10.1

Seeming the Subaru is the first small engine to use cam chains. Is this good or bad?

My heart is saying go for the Ryobi while my head is saying get the Pro-Lawn 6.0

Any help i'd really appreciate. Hope to buy today/tomorrow. Open to any suggestions
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy honda from reputable supplier, service spare parts available if neccesary.
Who do you go back to in woodies??????????
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said get one with the deck wider than the wheels this allows the deck overhang borders and cut grass there otherwise you will have to go back over it with a clippers/strimmers.
Get one with a wide discharge chute so it does not block.
It must be easily adjustable height wise.
get a large collector bag to save emptying every 5mns.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnq have great deals at the moment there is a 160cc honda engine for around €350 i think
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Greengage. Go to a reputable supplier, who will give you far better service on an ongoing basis; advise, spare parts, guarantee and maybe even free first service or such perks.

As for the mower itself, it depends on what you are doing with it. How much will you be doing with it? If you buy cheap it will be very hard to keep for any length of time and stop it from falling apart on you.

I would say one of the most overlooked things is the wheels. Cheap mowers will have plastic wheels with terrible bearings that go wobbily before eventually breaking. But again, it depends on how much cutting you will be doing with it.

That's why i would advise to go in and talk to a proper dealer and get some sound advice on what will suit you.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Honda ...aluminium bodies... there are fewer bits drop off them than other mowers I have used.... If you are cash rich and time poor then how about one of the solar robot mowers?.. one that does an acre will cost you the same price as a ride on mower..but a small one for your garden would cost under 1000 euro...

honda-mower.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.76 KB
 Viewed:  14302 Time(s)

honda-mower.jpg

solar_lawnmower.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.68 KB
 Viewed:  14301 Time(s)

solar_lawnmower.jpg

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may be in the market for a mower soon; i don't like the idea of having a big grass pile which takes up space and steals fertility - so are there any decent options for a mower which does not collect the grass, but would be suitable for a lawn which would be a middling size - maybe 100 foot by 30 foot?
mcgrueser

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get some very good mulching mowers now. I know the Stihl Viking range of mowers are excellent but they are a nice few quid. With those you do have the option of collecting or mulching.

Just with mulching you kind of need to cut the grass that bit more regularly than when collecting it. But I have to say mulching is so handy. They make cutting grass so much easier because collecting and emptying the grass is surely the hardest part of mowing.
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solar mowers are a waste of time.
Mulching Machines are good if you cut regularly twice a week otherwise it gets hard on the mower and they can block as wet grass piles up under the deck Good mulchers are expensive as they need a goood discharge chute out the side for obvious reasons, Kobota make the best ride on mowers by miles or acres nothing comes within a field of them. (Note Kobota you owe me a discount next time)
inishindie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could elaborate on your quote about the solar mowers being a "Waste of time" Greengage and show the research? If there were valid reasons I'm sure it would be of benefit to potential buyers.
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ah my own research.
How they work, A line is placed around the area to be cut similar to an electrical wire this controls the boundaries for the mower.The mower is then operated by a solar panel that charges the batteries, When it starts to rain the Machine senses it and goes into a small hut same thing at night.
1. on poor cloudy days like we have in Ireland it can be slow to come back out.
2. It cannot cope with long grass so we have had 3 days of rain here take it from me the machine will not venture out.
3. It cannot cope with slopes or inclines when the grass is wet or has dew on it.
4. If you have dogs or small children both they and it can be a nuscience on the lawn dogs chase it, children are curious Dangerous to have children and machine on same area.
5. You cannot use the lawn when the machine is out as it cuts random patterns on the lawn.
6. It needs to work every day all day to do a good job.
And finally I know someone who invested €2000+ in a machine and thought it the worst gadget he ever had and it now lies up in his shed.
It could also be stolen but sure whats the use of it without the wire none, that would only be a minor detail to a petty thief after all they stole 2KM of telephone wire recently. Do you think thats enough info for the moment you can also google their disadvantages and you will find a lot of dissasitified customers
They are expensive to purchase and parts are expensive and try getting it serviced. Need to know anymore
inishindie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's enough information for one sitting greengage Smile Good points...There seems to be very little product review information about them on retail sites.

We might be better off renting a few sheep... Or get a couple of dogs like mine...see image... No need for a mower here!

lawn care.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  802.78 KB
 Viewed:  14138 Time(s)

lawn care.jpg

Greengage

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you did ask.
As for the lawn sorry but that would do my head in, dogs would have to go period.
sgmgarden
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always look at what your needs are and what your lawns needs are when purchasing a lawn mower or trying to decide on one. For example what is the size of your lawn, what type of grass do you have and are you able to mow your lawn yourself by hand? If you think about all of these aspects, you will be able to find a lawn mower that will be specific to your needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: