Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Poppy seedlings

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
missy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Poppy seedlings Reply with quote

I bought some red poppy seeds a month ago and because the temp is cold outside planted them inside in a tray and left on the windowsill in the kitchen . After 2 wks the seedlings started sprouting now on the 3/4th week they are drooping why is this I rotate them regulary for the light and spray mist them every day the temp in the kitchen is fine too. They are about the size of my nail it is probably too cold and they are too small yet to plant outside. Anyone any experience of growing poppy seeds I also have a few dried poppy heads never planted the seeds direct from the plant before so dont know if they will sprout either. Beginner at growing seeds Rolling Eyes
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The atmosphere is too moist at present temperatures. Reduce the watering and misting. I developed an interest in poppies two years ago and while I ended up with only four plants that flowered for the first time last year they were well worth waiting for. I have heaps of seed and hundreds of tiny plants. Let me know if you are interested in them and I will post them on to you. The colour is an orange pink and flower when fully open is about 5-7 cms in diameter.
michael brenock horticulturl advisor (retired)
missy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I should be reducing the misting to say every second day? when also should I plant them outside they are too small yet and would get eaten anyway by slug and damaged by the weather so I will keep them in for a while. Would love some of those seeds if you have spare could I start sowing those now for a late Summer bloom or should I wait to sow later in year? I guess it's trial and error with seeds never get them all to grow the first time round. Will pm my address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: