Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

How to connect irrigation hoses for best coverage

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
AtomicOrbital
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: How to connect irrigation hoses for best coverage Reply with quote

Knowing that we were getting a very large area planted up this spring, when irrigation hoses were clearing in Aldi last autumn I bought 6 x 20m irrigation hoses (for €3.50 each). With our planing completed yesterday and all the promised rain absent, this evening I rolled them out.

Now I'm pretty sure I know where the problem is but I'm not sure of the solution. Hopefully someone will be able to advise me.

In my head I saw this as a quick job. Hook them up in series, turn it on and walk away. However, the 100m hose is obviously too long or my water pressure is too low. I suspect the first. The water only makes it half way through the second pipe (if even that far) and trickles off.

I'm wondering what would be the best way to hook these up. I'm thinking of getting a 4 (or if it exists, a 5) way tap manifold and connecting them up in parallel. I'm hoping with the pressure evenly distributed at source it might evenly travel the 20m through all 5 pipes? This sounds a bit optimistic when I think about it! My other ideas are similar and centre around: Change from a "5-in-series connection" to 5 in parallel, from either a manifold or a short length of hose with 5 t-junctions.

I have a higher-end Karcher power washer. Could this be used as a water pump?

I also have another bed which is further then 20m away but this area is smaller and could be hooked up after the main area is finished. I suspect I could put my 50m solid hose on the tap and connect a 20m irrigation pipe on the other end and successfully cover this are on it's own. Lack of appropriate connectors and eventually darkness stopped me from trying any of these tonight.

If I'm making sense, does anyone have any suggestions?
vulkan
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, by "irrigation hose" I take it you mean a hose with holes in at regular intervals, NOT the hose that is made from old car tyres that leaks? (it's supposed to leak)

Assuming it is the former, as you said, connecting them in series is a waste since all the available water will have been "squirted" out the holes in the first hose. (Along with the pressure)

Connecting them in parallel is your best option, BUT you will still only have the same volume / pressure of water that your tap can supply now.

Connecting something like a pressure washer sounds a good idea, but all it does is increase the pressure, not the volume, so again it would be a waste of time.

You need to increase the water volume as well as the pressure, and since you can't do that with a standard tap the next solution to do is to connect the hoses one at a time so only any one hose is running at any one time.

(Try using a pressure washer without any attachment after the trigger, see what happens)

If you have the space and money you could build a "water tower" consisting of a tank sitting on a tower, but you would need to know the flow rate and pressure requirements of each hose to figure out the height of the tower and size of tank.
dormouse

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl have 2 different types of hose attachment sets at the moment. One of them has a 1 to four way splitter. MIght help you if you decide to go the parallel route. I assume it is not a soaker hose?? They only require low pressure so you should not have a problem with them.
AtomicOrbital

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hoses are flat, about an inch wide with pin holes evenly placed along one flat side. The don't seem to need too much pressure, but no matter how high you turn it, it only goes at most through one and a half, to almost 2 lengths (20m). On the packet they're referred to as irrigation hoses. Am I right in thinking that soaker hoses are normally little black rubbery round hoses?

Not being able to find a 4 way tap manifold or T-junctions in a shop locally I spent €30 on a different kind of Hoselock sprinkler today. The irrigation hoses will do fine for a hedge I'll be putting in shortly. Would still like them working but will see how the new sprinkler goes. It's got a long silver pipe with pin holes up the middle and flicks side to side in a controlled manner. Hopefully only moving it a few times an evening will be enough to give my plants a good start.

We've had the best weather in weeks here this week! Figures!
dormouse

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes soaker hoses are those black rubber deals that weep water very slowly, hence only very low pressure is needed. They waste a lot less water too. Something to bare in mind when charges come in. I got one in Lidl a few weeks back (10 euro for 15 meters). Should have got more. Keep it in mind for the future if your current system doesn't work out.
If you dont mind me asking, would it not be simpler for you and save on water if you used a hose in the normal way? Or you could place/hide a barrel somewhere close to the area but out of sight and fill it with a hose and then dip a watering can in?
AtomicOrbital

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area is over 40m long and up to 12m deep. I have a hose with a Hoselock telescopic hand held sprinkler but it takes about 45 minutes of hanging about getting damp. And over the next 3 or 4 months that's a lot of time I'd rather not spend hanging around. We have a very large allocation of water on our meter as we're on a private rural scheme with a lot of farmers on it. The barrel is a good idea but I have two small kids so not comfortable with it. But I have plans to get sealed water containers with taps to hook onto the down spouts of the house.
ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: ibc tant Reply with quote

hi ,this ibc tank might do the job for you,its holds 250 gallons of water of the roof Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy

13878_735.jpg
 Description:
ibc tank,it holds 250 gallons of water
 Filesize:  96.69 KB
 Viewed:  12854 Time(s)

13878_735.jpg

dormouse

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's a large area alright. Looks like you might need some sort of pump to bump up the pressure alright. Best of luck! Lidl stores have a submersible pump at the moment. If you could get an IBC set up, filled from tap or downpipe, you could pump from that resevoir into your system maybe?
vulkan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dormouse wrote:
Wow that's a large area alright. Looks like you might need some sort of pump to bump up the pressure alright. Best of luck! Lidl stores have a submersible pump at the moment. If you could get an IBC set up, filled from tap or downpipe, you could pump from that resevoir into your system maybe?

And the point would be?

AtomicOrbital already has a tap, that does not work, so why would this work?
dormouse

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tap doesn't have enough pressure, a pump presumably would?
vulkan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dormouse wrote:
The tap doesn't have enough pressure, a pump presumably would?

No it won't. As I said earlier

vulkan wrote:
..............Connecting something like a pressure washer sounds a good idea, but all it does is increase the pressure, not the volume, so again it would be a waste of time.

You need to increase the water volume as well as the pressure.........
dormouse

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you pumped from a full 1000 lt IBC, is that not enough volume? And with the a hose running from the tap to the IBC to top it up as it empties, surely that would be enough per watering, no?
vulkan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dormouse wrote:
But if you pumped from a full 1000 lt IBC, is that not enough volume?

No, sorry.

Put it this way,

Which has more water?

A full Intermediate Bulk Container

Or

A tap? (and its associated pipework)

Answer is the tap, since it is connected to the water mains, its volume is limitless. Where as an IBC only has 1000 litres.

If you connected a pressure washer to an IBC you would still only have 1000 litres and that would be all. A hose refilling the IBC would be a waste of time as you would not need the IBC.

The only solution would be is as follows:

Calculate the water requirement for each hose, then multiply that by six (number of hoses) then find a pump that can supply that volume of water at the head height required.

People often do not realise how involved it is getting the right pump for a fountain or water feature, often they will just "make do" with something that is easy to get, or comes in a "fountain kit", no matter how too small it is.

This popular fountain nozzle requires 80 litres / minute to reach a height of 1 metre, you could not have two running from one sump pump, but people do try.

Back to the IBC, assuming it could work with a sump pump, the average sump pump claims to pump around 150 litres / minute, so that means that at most you would have just over 6 minutes to water a garden (1000 / 150 = 6.6)

Even if you said it pumps at 100 litres / minute, is 10 minutes enough to water a garden?
(and to keep the IBC filled you would have to be filling at 150 lpm , but if you could do that you would not need the IBC. All this is assuming that 150 lpm is enough and at the right pressure)

..........and the last "nail in the coffin" is the cost of all the required equipment. (It will be considerably more than the €21 the six hoses cost)
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some of those Aldi leaky hoses around my garden.

What I did was run Hydrodare mains piping around the garden with a load of connecters off of it.

I have no problem with water not getting to the end then, even where I have two leaky hoses connected to each other with Y joints.

I started out from source with three quarter hydrodare, then went down to half inch hydrodare.

I have 12 places where I have two connectors plumbed in. So 24 hose connections altogether. It didn't cost very much at all.

But if I turn on EVERY connection at ONE time ! ! , the pressure drops down low. But you'd never do that anyway. Smile They all still work, though.

If I get a chance I'll take a pic later on.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
vulkan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
I have some of those Aldi leaky hoses around my garden.......

Forgive me kindredspirit, I am not wishing to appear to be pedantic, but that's not what AtomicOrbital has, he said.

AtomicOrbital wrote:
The hoses are flat, about an inch wide with pin holes evenly placed along one flat side

Above is an irrigation hose (Its made from "pvc" and is punctured at regular intervals on one side. Fine but narrow jets of water squirt out from the hose)

Above is a leaky / soaker hose. (Its made from old car tyres and has hundreds of micro holes around its perimeter, it literally leaks)

Leaky hoses do not require a great deal of pressure to work, where as by comparison, irrigation hoses do, and to connect 6 in series.............

Or, AtomicOrbiotal could do as kindredspirit does, but on a smaller scale, that is turn the hoses on one at a time. (But I some how don't think that's what he wants)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: