Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia Alata)

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Keith g
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia Alata) Reply with quote

Hi all, I was just browsing the local garden centre today during my lunch break, and saw this wonderful looking climber black eyed susan for sale at €18 with beautiful orange flowers and is clamied to be a fast grower.

I have a good spot in my garden for it, but it doesn't look hardy at all, even first frosts do the damage on it.

Does anybody know if it survives our winters here in Ireland? and possibly grow back the next spring?

Thanks,

Keith.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you do dont pay €18 for it. It can be grown as an annual from seed and when were on the subject of climbers Woodies are selling Clematis in long toms with 1 plant per pot for €8 the very same plant is for sale in Tesco for €4 and in a garden center you can buy a clematis with 3 plants per pot for €13.
If your buying annuals or bedding buy Irish Homebase and B&Q are all British imported plants, support your local nurseries and Irish jobs.
Keith g

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Good point there Greengage, although it has some fabulous stock of all sorts, this centre has a reputation for being exceptionally expensive.

I even thought that Woodies are expensive too, small plants for €7.99 a pot, they are sure to be making a handsome profit on those. I'll be on the lookout to buy Irish all the same.

Keith.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: