Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Wall and gutter gardens

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Wall and gutter gardens Reply with quote

Even with limited space, some people get great results. I think the photo below is from the US

This inspired me to grow legumes in a similar fashion, and between my work and the sheer hassle, peas and beans are not worth all the work with the stakes and poles.
So, on the above photo - having some old guttering handy I fixed it onto the outside of a shoring board

Using the fence for support and concentrating on climbing green beans and mange tout to avoid all the shelling etc.

I have a SE facing sheltered wall. This year I am going to try hanging baskets for tomato - trying a few different varieties to see which works best in our climate.
Behind the trellis - which will be used to grow gherkins and squash, is just some ground cover to proted the paintwork and absorb more heat into the wall

Knocking up some boxes to place the gherkin and squash plans, will also incorporate delicate herbs like basil and corriander.

Hope it all works, but it goes to show even with limited space you can produce quite substancial amounts of food.

Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic suggestion and photos, I think I am inspired to do something similar around my shed as there are lot of sun there.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guttering is cleverly aligned to use the water off the roof to service every plant. No water wasted there!
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: