Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

green house irrigation

Most Recent Posts How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: jardinier
Install the edging - Lay edging logs
How to Anchor a Greenhouse to ground - Tips
Potable Chicken Coop - Building Steps
Eclipse - The Recessed Manhole Planter
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: green house irrigation Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone can help me decide which is the most appropriate irrigation system for my green house..
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Types of Green House Irrigation / Glasshouse Irrigation Reply with quote

You have a few options for green house irrigation, Rachel.
Have a look at the pros and cons of these methods.

Hand watering
Hand watering is the most economical method of watering to install, however someone must be available when the watering needs to be done. Hand watering has a tendency to waste water, wetting the plants foliage in the process, which increases the potential for diseases and fungal problems.

Overhead sprinklers
Overhead sprinklers have similar foliage wetting problems, however overheads can be connected to a timer unlike hand watering. Your watering can go ahead, even when you are not around. Bear in mind the overhead sprinklers overall coverage, if you are growing many varieties of plants, as many will need varying different amounts of water. Overheads tend to give the same amount of water to each.

Drip or trickle

Drip or trickle systems such as ooze pipes are very efficient in their use of water and as the water enters the soil directly, the plants foliage does not get wet. Thus reducing the chances of disease and fungal problems.

Capillary matting
Water can also be applied to glasshouse plants using capillary matting. As the water enters the base of the plants pots directly, the plants foliage again does not get wet. However, salt build up can be a problem, as mats do not allow for leaching of this substance. Salt is damaging in larger quantities.

Whichever method you opt for, remember that timers and mechanical evaporation sensors controlling automatic watering systems make a gardeners life much easier.

Gardening books. Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter...

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: diy drip irrigation Reply with quote

There are many benefits to automated water systems for polytunnels and especially so if you want to do it yourself from using hose connections. Here is a supplier that has a very good website explained diagramatically how to go about it.,2280,49657

Someone mentioned about wanting to water one end only of the polytunnel. If you use their catalogue, you can borrow some ideas of how to do this.

I use the glass balls to feed my hanging plants - put in fertilizer and they are good for 2 weeks.

Just bought a moisture meter and ph tester all in one, temperature gauge and moisture reader. It has a memory which will tell me what the temperature was - at night say, so I'll know if I need to insulate better. 40% is good enough for orchids, but I have 57% - pretty good. Tom says it's because the dog has been weeing on the plants on the sly!

Filesize:  107.91 KB
 Viewed:  5788 Time(s)

Filesize:  108.8 KB

Filesize:  134.86 KB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: