Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Hot bed frame

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
corco2000
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Hot bed frame Reply with quote

Hi, has anyone tried building and usig a hot bed for softwood cuttings? How woud it work. I was going to build a frame from sheets of galvanised and top it with old windows on hinges.
I was going to then put fresh horse manure follwed by sand. That will be roughly 3'. Then trays of cuttings. How do you thing that will work out?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with manure not a chance
Make a rectangular box with 4x1 timber plave put polystyrine sheet in bottom add plastic add heater cables add sand and stick cuttings dieectly into sand use mist unit to keep humidity high.
Watch this series of videos as to how its done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJyOUzyMRrU
corco2000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reply and link. To be honest I am trying to this for as little as possible, if not for zero funds. Cables and misting unit, yes ideally I'd love to use but unfortunetly just can't afford at the mo.
I have build the frame already. You have given me an idea...i am going to put a sheet of plastic inside the frame and insulate between the galvanised sheet and the plastic using straw shredded paper.
I will keep you posted.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one for nothing using what i said above I contacted Hozelock and purchased a selection of nozzels which I connected to plastic piping I had in shed. Then I got a friiend to make a timer from an old phone charger and a little electronic gadget (Timer) It worked brill for a week and then stopped working so I need to ask him to have a look what prob maybe. Check out http://www.freeplants.com/ but remember this guy is no simple dirt farmer I have been on his mailing list for years and watched him live online give a talk I think him entertaining and clever buissines man. if only we had the population numbers this could work here.
corco2000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage,
I am also on freeplants.com news letter. I think this could work in Ireland. If you produced a high quality product and a reasonable price. I don't think you be rich but would defo pay for a hobby and you'd have a fab garden for nothing.
At the moment I have alot of empty spaces I need to fill. I walk around garden centres and say to myself I could spend thousands just to plant all my garden. So that's my motivation for propagation.
Would you be interested in a home nursery? Why don't you think it could work?
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would work let me know how you get on. you might also be interested in this http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/ho-37web.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: