Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Quick tomato question

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Too late to plant first early potatoes?
Last post: tagwex
Planning a perrenial garden
Help deciding on flowerbed shape

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
aidansmyth
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Quick tomato question Reply with quote

Hi we've recently setup a unheated greenhouse in out back garden to try our hand at growing our own vegies and herbs. We planted a few seeds, but also bought two grafted tomato plants at b&q, a beefsteak and one simply labeled elegance. The beefsteak stem is growing dark and the leaves look like their skin is pealing, and it seems to be spreading. This also seems to be starting on the 'elegance'. And there is sign of leaf curl as well (but this is probably due to stress, adjusting to new environment), is there anything i can do to help the plants?

I only have them two days, and they were in the greenhouse on the first day. I've taken them in a night as it is still cold and only watered them a little as the soil is still moist.

I didn't want to re-pot them outside in the greenhouse as its still quite cold at night. Any tips on watering plants of this size and age? We bought 4 much smaller plant from woodies recently and all died, they were pretty dried out, and then i think we over watered them and subsequently died. So I'm hope to avoid a repeat.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
yaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from expert but I know that stems turn dark when tomato plant is cold. I don't know about what happening to the leaves. I have some of my tomatoes in the greenhouse too and they have similar markings on their leaves too. But I'm not too worried about that because it's only the bottom leaves that are discolored.
aidansmyth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question over at helpfulgardener and the current idea is that the leaves are scorched (basically sunburn) because the plant isn't hardened to the sun yet.

I'll have to harden mine if it has problems with sun and cold Sad
breezyacre
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. I have been growing tomatoes unsuccessfully now for about 5 years. I have come around to the conclusion that the reason for my lack of success is that the plants were getting scorched by the sun. This year I have bought a packet of coolglass shading from Homebase which I will paint onto the apex . This, I hope, is the solution to my problem. It is interesting though as my father has an older glasshouse which is southfacing and very warm and he has never had a problem with scorching. Is it to do with the fact, I wonder that his is higher than mine or is it to do with newer glass vs older glass.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the plants will scorch if the leaves are wet from watering or condensation in the greenhouse followed by sunlight burning the wet leaves
Lius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the photo it looks like the Tomatoes plant has long overgrown the pot it is in.

That tiny pot will not hold enough water for a day for that size plant. The roots will experience huge swings in moisture between watering which is not good.

I would also guess that the plant has used up all of the nutrients in the tiny amount of (seedling) compost in the small pot and is starving for food.

Transplant the plants into the largest container you can fit into the greenhouse, preferable 30cm \X 30cm X 30cm per plant with a rich compost and when the plant recovers and starts to flower feed it with a liquid tomatoes feed.

I'm a novice myself but I think this is good advice.
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like water burn to me
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok time out the pic was posted on 13th April lots of advice on what to do and what the problem may be so how is the plant doing, curious is it dead , alive or discarded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: