Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Last frosts for Ireland

Most Recent Posts Time to go?
Last post: kindredspirit
Ponddigger breaks the rules (again)
Last post: vulkan
bamboo water feature
Last post: ponddigger
vortex water fountain
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Last frosts for Ireland Reply with quote

I have been searching around for a reliable way to figure out the last frost dates for Ireland. I've seen a few stranges posts on this forum with people stating that the last frost date is St Patricks Day Shocked Rolling Eyes

Met Eireann has some great weather stats but they are not always very up todate.

Looking at the 30 year averages for the years 1961-1990:
http://www.met.ie/climate/dublinairport.asp (or select the closest weather station to you).

The "mean no. of days with ground frost " for Dublin Airport goes from 9.2 days in April down to 0.2 in May to 0.0 in June. So middle of April to beginning of May is the safest bet for planting out cold sensitive plants for me. There may be the odd frost later than that but there will not be very many so it should be possible to keep a check on the longterm forecasts (see links below) and cover up if need be.

Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com) shows that the average temperatures around the globe have been creeping up in the last 20 years so I reakon that may reduce the mean no. of days with ground frost.

From met.ie, they show that the average temperature has risen around 0.4C since 1990.

http://www.met.ie/images/climate/temp01.gif

I wish that met.ie would supply the data from 1990 - 2012 but they appear to charge for that Crying or Very sad

Anyways, for me on the east coast I think I'm going to aim for 2nd Week in April for planting out frost sensitive plants. Hopefully this info will help some of ye figure out your last frost dates.

Long Term Forecasts

The links below are from the excellent WeatherOnline website that provide the charts from the supercomputer runs that are done almost every 6 hours. The "BASE" is the time the previous run was generated and then you just click on the numbers to the right of this (0,3,6,9,12....) which represent the "BASE" time plus hours. eg. BASE is "THU, 00 GMT". If you click on "9" then this provides the forecast for 00.00 +9 hours which is 9am. I highly recommend this site for your forecasts, it's the most accurate site out there for weather predictions. You can look out to +384 hours but that's mostly just fiction! It's great for looking out a few days (+72hrs) though.

Temperature at 2m height:
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=06&VAR=tmp2&HH=0&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Next 5-days minimum temperature:
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=06&VAR=tmp2&HH=60&INFO=0&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=41
Lius
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

You should take a free 30 day free trial of the SUTTONS Vegtable Garden Planner. see:-

http://gardenplanner.suttons.co.uk/default.aspx

You can input your exact location into your personal settings and it will calculate the frost dates and all the planting dates based on your plant layout and even email you to remind you when to plant them.
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how they calculate that date but as a little experiment, what does it say for Dublin and say somewhere inland like Mullingar?
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps. That planner seems to be the same one as www.growveg.com ?
Lius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 30 day free trial is up so I can't check Mullingar and I can't remember the exact dates it gave me for Ballinteer, Dublin. I rounded them off to make them easy to remember as follows:-

Last Frost = May Day (1st May)

First Frost = Halloween (31st October)
richrua
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not St Patrick's day. People like to put their first potatoes in then.

I would wait until at least May. You might even get a light frost in May - not unheard of. If it is forecast just cover up less hardy plants with bit of fleece (really cheap in the bargain shops right now). Bear in mind that it is not just avoiding frost that tender plants need, but they actually need soil that is a steady warm temperature too.

I have noticed with beans in particular a later sowing easily catches up with those I risk planting a bit early.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: