Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden.

Cold Weather Event This week

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Keith g
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Cold Weather Event This week Reply with quote

Hi all, sorry to post this and depress you but I'm sounding out a warning of some very cold weather that is coming down from the north this week, which is forecast to be quite a shock from all the lovely weather we've been having lately.

Over on the weather forum, it seems that the forecasts show that from tuesday onwards it will be very cold by day and will also have a few heavy frosty nights thrown in also. Hopefully it won't last too long.

I'll be bringing in my tender plants in pots later this evening Sad By the way, is there a good way of protecting those newly formed leaves, is covering them with a fine net that can be purchase in any garden centre any good? Thanks.

Keith.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its way too early to have tender plants out yet, Garden centres mad with people buying Summer bedding and hanging baskets, End of April or beginning of May time enough. After the long winter which was very mild this year people are gone mad planting.
sunnymount farm
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Keith G!
With the cold weather back this week I was wondering what everyone is doing to protect their young seedlings and plants.
I have tomatoes/peppers/aubergine/lettuce/ brassicas etc all in modules in the polytunnel. At night I take them all into the house due to the risk of frost. I do this every year and each year I think to myself.... Am i mad? what does everyone else do?
Any great suggestions out there????
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep everything in the greenhouse covered in garden fleece when it is cold and remove the fleece when it is warm.

This time last year we were in the middle of a heat wave and it was ok to take a risk on putting some garden vegetables outside, but not tender plants like tomatoes etc. This time last year the sweet pea were outdoors and starting to come into flower, this year they are still in the glasshouse waiting for the good weather.

As for Keiths question regarding the netting, this is not good enough to keep the plants protected, garden fleece is the best thing and it is in ALDI this week going cheap!! I saw Monty Don on the BBC using bubble wrap, so there is a novel idea.

Back out to the glasshouse, to wrap up more plants, Burrrrrr!!
Keith g

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Well I hope that you all got your plants through the week ok, it was cold for a while alright. Maeve, good tip abot Aldi, i'll go and have a look if I can if it's not too late.

Keith.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: