Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Iron sulphate

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tommycahir
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Iron sulphate Reply with quote

Hi all

I hope you can help me, I got 2 bags of ferrogranul 20 iron(+2) sulphate hydrate this evening in the local hardware store and while the guy there said to spread it dry by hand I am now having my doubts after some googling and am wondering if anybody here has used that specific stuff before and should it be diluted in water and sprayed rather than spread dry by hand?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Tommy
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dilute it in very hot water and put it on with a knapsack sprayer, clean the sprayer after use do not allow it onto your cloths or paths as it will stain, If you spill it on the lawn it will burn the grass.
tommycahir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks greengage for the advice, what ratio should I dilute it at ? Unfortunately the bags don't have any info like that on them Sad

I take it when you say don't spill it on the lawn, you mean in a concentrate form or when it is being dissolved in a bucket..
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both, Using a sprayer it needs to be calibrated for the user and theres a bit of maths involved. Look if you get a jug that measures 1ltr of liquid fill it with powder dilute it in a bucket with very warm water add this to the sprayer and top up with cold water spray this on your lawn. (My sprayer holds 15 ltrs of liquid) after 3 days it should turn black now get a scarifer and remove the moss and thach that has built up and you can reseed any bald patches. It will only do good if your not happy add more powdre or less next time.
Check this out re callibration http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/downloads/Advice%20and%20Procedures/Soluble%20Iron%20Application.pdf
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B & Q are selling 15-20lb bags of moss remover/lawn saver for €5 a bag But it is only for Autumn application according to the instructions why this is i don't know Belgard road outlet normal price is 30 quid they say.
tommycahir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow up on this, I done as advised by Greengage and mixed the iron sulphate and applied it, then scarified a week later, spread some seed on it and gave it a feed a couple of days later of 7/6/17 and things are starting to green up nicely now, even if the growth is slow due to the weather. Smile

I still have some moss around one part of the lawn but will be working on that using a rake for a while I reckon as it was particularly bad.

once again thanks for all the help.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great well done you can send on the cheque Laughing
michael brenock

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grass grows faster at this time of the year than moss. The Iron Sulphate burns the moss but helps the grass to grow faster. In a months time the moss will have disappeared almost completely. The underlying cause for moss is shading and soil surface compaction. Spiking will help with aeration.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: