Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

planting fruit trees near wall

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
banner
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: planting fruit trees near wall Reply with quote

Bought a few fruit trees to partially block off an ugly wall, will be adding ivy. Anyway the wall is 6 feet high facing north The trees will be at the east side of it, When it is sunny there is good sun there most of the day. Will they be OK there? How close to the wall should i go? I sthere anything i should know. They are peach and cherry and one had no label so not sure what it is?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing do not plant ivy it will find its way into every little crack and crevice eventuall damaging the wall.
If planting fruit trees plant them at an angle lying against the wall and outside the foundations that way they wont fall away from the wall when they become established also check out pruning and training them along the wall good luck, Dont plant Ivy it looks great in the books and the sales pitch is exciting you will regret it, Dont say you were not warned. for three years I have been trying to rescue a walled garden from the cursed thing and i think im winning at last.
banner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
first thing do not plant ivy it will find its way into every little crack and crevice eventuall damaging the wall.
If planting fruit trees plant them at an angle lying against the wall and outside the foundations that way they wont fall away from the wall when they become established also check out pruning and training them along the wall good luck, Dont plant Ivy it looks great in the books and the sales pitch is exciting you will regret it, Dont say you were not warned. for three years I have been trying to rescue a walled garden from the cursed thing and i think im winning at last.
Do not understand plant the trees at an angle. I was going to have them a couple feet out fr4om the wall but planted as normal, sorry do not understand

Ivy near me looks good no problem withwall
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes plant them away from the wall but lying back against the wall, hope this makes sense.
banner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
yes plant them away from the wall but lying back against the wall, hope this makes sense.
why do that?
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
If planting fruit trees plant them at an angle lying against the wall and outside the foundations that way they wont fall away from the wall when they become established

Banner. Read Greengage's first post !

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
banner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
Greengage wrote:
If planting fruit trees plant them at an angle lying against the wall and outside the foundations that way they wont fall away from the wall when they become established

Banner. Read Greengage's first post !
i do notwant them against the wall will have ivy or creeper there
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of a pic as this could turn out to be a disaster for you. By all means plant trees free standing away from the wall about 2 metres, Plant anything but ivy Remember trees will get big eventually Ivy will go rampant and cover your trees unless you control it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: