Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

wood for raised beds?

Most Recent Posts Patio table. Tagwex
Last post: tagwex
Hodgy The Hedgehog
Last post: tagwex
Auto sign-in, query for James
Last post: Good guy
Parsley - Dig It Up Or Keep?
Last post: greengiant

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Jay King
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: wood for raised beds? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm starting out my own vegetable garden from scratch and was wondering if anyone had any scaffold boards lying around or something similar for raised beds. I'm living in co.wicklow.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, JK, and welcome.

There does seem to be a fashion in modern gardening for 'raised beds' and, in the long term, although it makes a lot of hard work initially, cultivating the actual soil will turn out best - if it's not absolutely beyond recall, that is.

However, if you don't get any luck with your request, cast off tractor tyres make a cheap and long lasting alternative. Arranged in fours, sixes, eights etc., they're deeper than scaffold boards and, in a group of four, for example, arranged in a square, you have the tyres themselves PLUS the star shaped space in the middle that will accommodate something small like mint or parsley which won't be able to spread out of control.

Tyre depots have to pay to get their old ones taken away (so they'll be grateful for you to take them off their hands) and the tyres themselves will last for years and years. The only preparation I'd recommend to maximise the space would be to saw round the walls, leaving about 3 inches, and drop the offcut into the bottom to get rid of it. Any old panel saw will do the job and it won't take long.

Although I'm not short of space, I use a couple for seed beds and small salad crops on a piece of rubbish soil I couldn't use for anything else. I laid several layers of cardboard (collapsed boxes) down before placing the tyres and that made sure none of the weeds underneath came through.

ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a drive around some unfinished estate near you and there'll be loads of boards lying around go in and ask the security guard or owner these boards are wet or warped and are unsafe for use on a scaffold.
Jay King

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, there seems to be plenty of alternative ways of making raised beds I will keep an open mind.
Sunny
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resentally got old scaffolding boards in North Dublin city for €2 a board from a place that rents scaffolding. Cant complain with that. I can PM you the number if you are interested, I know they have loads of them.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay
I was looking at the older posts on this forum for information about scaffolding planks...It's funny how things have changed over the last 6 years..We have posts saying that planks are hard to find and when you do find them they will cost 10-15 euro each! How times have changes...now the building has stopped there are mountains of planks available t less than 3 euro...2 euro according to Sunny.

Try on http://donedeal.ie type 'scaffolding planks' into the search bar and lots come up. You could get a pack of 70 delivered for 140 euro...sell them on to your friends!

Tyres are sometimes a bit of an issue because of leeching of chemicals, but then so are old railway sleepers with the creosote..both have been used to build houses though!

If you want a few small ones the fencing panels can be effective...they are treated for long life and smooth too so less splinters....One of my favourite raised beds was made from old books...the slugs seemed to like the pages too !

Jay King

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sunny that would be great. Where is it in Dublin?
Thanks inishindie for all that info.
Sunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just privet messaged you the details now.
Sparklesreid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Scaffolding Boards Reply with quote

Hi Sunny

Would you mind PM the number of the company selling the Scaffolding Boards for €2 as I am being charged a fiver for each board.

Thank you

Sparkles

Sunny wrote:
I resentally got old scaffolding boards in North Dublin city for €2 a board from a place that rents scaffolding. Cant complain with that. I can PM you the number if you are interested, I know they have loads of them.

knoxville

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done deal has loads of sellers, this is one for example http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/3549798
Sparklesreid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reply. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, the person is out of the country ( judging by the dial tone) .

Regards and thanks again

Sparkles
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: wood for raised beds? Reply with quote

Jay King wrote:
Hi, I'm starting out my own vegetable garden from scratch and was wondering if anyone had any scaffold boards lying around or something similar for raised beds. I'm living in co.wicklow.

Apparently they're a dime a dozen these days in the scrap yards/salvage yards.
Left over from the building boom. They've only got a short life for scaffolding, 18 months or something, for H&S reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: