Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

First year planting fruit & Veg and looking for help

Most Recent Posts Happy Christmas
Last post: Sue Deacon
Just saying.............
Last post: vulkan
Planning the garden jobs month by month - DECEMBER
Last post: tagwex
Rocks in troughs.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
onemanorthree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: First year planting fruit & Veg and looking for help Reply with quote

HI All,

It's my first year grown fruit and veg outside a greenhouse and I'm looking for some advice on which plants I should plant together in the same beds.
I am used to growing tomatoes and chilies with decent success.

Outside of the greenhouse I have have two raised beds, approx' 1 meter by 1 meter that I'v filled with a mixture of homemade compost and
store bought general compost. I plan t grow about 6 different varieties of veg in these: Onions, leeks, fennel, broccoli, lettuce, peas, & herbs.
I am stuck on which to grow beside each other and am worried about crop rotation next year.
I also plan to plant potatoes in the small amount of plantable garden we have and grow carrots in containers.

I'm growing fruit and a few other veg in pots and containers around the garden. Currently I have courgettes, garlic, broad-beans,
raspberries, gooseberries, Blueberries, strawberries, a pear tree and two settled production apples trees (inherited from previous house owner).

My first question, and there may be many, is which plants should I plant beside each other in the bed?
Should I plant the leaks with the onions and fennel? Are there plants I should grown beside each other this year & in the other bed next year for example?

I have pics of garden if that would be helpful. It's south facing and gets lots of sun.

Thanks in advance

omot
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like square foot gardening would be good for you. Do some research on that, there's a lot of information out there as it is very popular.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone started a similar thread last year and the conclusion was to NOT attempt to grow multiple varieties as you'll only have space for minimal quantities of each AND most of your seeds will be wasted/unused.

Runner beans can be bought as plants in local markets etc and will provide loads of cropping from one of your 1x1 beds.

Planting a variety of salad crops in succession in the other could prove useful. Planting a few lettuces/radishes/spring onions etc at a time can produce quick crops, followed by further sowings rotating where you plant the subsequent ones.

Onions would work well from sets but I wouldn't bother with leeks as they normally benefit from greater depth than most raised beds afford.

Another 'cut and come again' crop is spinach beet (perpetual spinach), as is Curly Kale (Borecole) which will last right through winter with regular pickings. We're still picking from last year's sowing.

The basic message, though, to avoid disappointment is to rotate your one or two crops each year, e.g. Beans and Salad this year, onions and spinach next year etc.

Lius
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dormouse is right, Square Foot Gardening is the best way to plan / plant veggies in a small space, the book is very good see:-

http://www.squarefootgardening.org

Also inishindie has written a book on Raised Vegetable Beds see:-

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about5632.html
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want climbing beans, try growing them in containers. We grow runner beans in old buckets full of Hortons compost, up a string attached to a little masonry nail on the wall of the house (south facing). They consistently outperform the ones we have planted "traditionally" in the soil, and they add a splash of colour where there would otherwise be none, and also leave space in our beds for a different crop.
onemanorthree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I went with a lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, onions and a few other fruit bushes, and very happy with the result.

Tanks for the input.

IMG_0583.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.76 KB
 Viewed:  3238 Time(s)

IMG_0583.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: