Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

western red cedar questions

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jp nolan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: western red cedar questions Reply with quote

hello everyone, I joined this site literally ten mins ago having spent the last couple of weeks reading the wealth of brilliant information it contains. I have a problem and I am hoping that someone out there has an answer.last year i planted 200 western red cedar trees from pots around the boundary of my back garden.they appear to growing although alot of them have brown upsides to the leaves while the underneath of these leaves eppears to healthy and is a lovely lush green in colour.the land they are on is very fertile.I am very anxious about this and fear that some may actually be dead.there are very few, very small branches near the bottom of each tree which also seem lifeless.maybe thers a correlation between the two problems I just outlined.any information at all would be hugely appreciated,theres no way I am giving up on them.thanks very much.
J.P
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine tend to go through that colour chage as well over winter jp nolan. I believe it is the cold weather that causes it and it is completely natural as mine revert to full green once the warmer spring arrives.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foliage may take on a bronze to reddish brown to black colour in cold winters. This is natural and the trees will green up as the growing season progresses. A few varieties have a natural bronze or blue tinge in certain seasons. Some cedars appear blue when flowering.
Foliage can become dull or bronzed in mid-summer from heat and desiccating winds.

Water Stress: Cedars are relatively shallow-rooted trees. They are susceptible to drought stress especially on well-drained, sandy soils. The extreme of very wet conditions in the fall and winter, followed by a hot, dry summer, is very stressful for the roots. Hedges should be watered during very dry periods. Mulching will also help to maintain even soil moisture and temperature.

Prolonged flooding and overwatering can also cause root death from lack of oxygen in the soil. Water can accumulate under hedges that are planted downhill.
Thuja prefer a soil pH of 6 to 6.5, but will grow well in soils up to 7.5. Soils that are too acid can result in nutrient deficiency symptoms (browning or yellowing of foliage) and eventual tree decline. Apply dolomitic lime to increase the pH of acid soils.
jp nolan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much for the advice guys.It will all be put into practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: