Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Lawn from scratch ???

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Ado 2
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bredmond
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Lawn from scratch ??? Reply with quote

Hi people,

Hopefully you can offer me some advice with my new 'project' Im looking at starting.
Can you confirm if the below is correct for me please with what im looking at doing with my garden. Im basically looking at re-doing the whole garden.

The drainage is really poor and the grass is very bad and Id prefer to start from scratch than try and work with whats there....

Im looking at,

1: Dig up the existing grass, Im planning on rotovating first to try loosen the sod etc and then dig it up completley.

2:Weed and remove all the stones etc.

3:Rotovate again

4: Im getting more top soil in to bring the overall level of the garden up to have better dept. Good grade so not putting additional sand on it.

5: Once the top soil is down Im going to put some french drains in and two dry wells.

6 Once the drains are in Im going to spary a weed killer and leave for a month before I sow.

7: Rotovate / rake the top soil again and sow the seed and rake over again to ensure seed contact with the soil

8: Let nature take its course (with a helping had)

Am I correct in the order that Im doing things ?

Can I dig the drains the same day as I put down the top soil ? I know the level might settle a bit but I can rake and level the soil again after the month

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barry

P.S: Ill try get pictures up to show what Im working with and progress pictures
Anonany
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen James Kilkelly's How to sow a lawn from scratch tutorial http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about287.html ?

I'm sure you'ld find it very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: