Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Re Doing lawn

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
chris84
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re Doing lawn Reply with quote

Hi looking for some advice,I recently had a patio laid and new fence.They had a very small digger in digging out for patio and made a mess of the lawn,it wasn't great anyway,what i want to know is can i get a few ton of topsoil and re do lawn and re seed or will i have to rotavate the existing lawn before putting new topsoil on?

Photo0064.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  530.82 KB
 Viewed:  4121 Time(s)

Photo0064.jpg

chris84

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? Sad
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is a small lawn you could rotovate it and reseed or scarify and place a layer of sand ( similar to what is used on golf coarses) and lay turfs instant lawn.
looks nice hope you get the weather to enjoy the patio.
chris84

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to raise it up a bit as i want it level with the patio which you can't see from the picture,so will need to bring in fresh topsoil,do you think i could just cover the lawn thats there or will i have to rotavate whats there first.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it drains well i would cover it have seen it done loads of time no after effects.
Just had another look at the garden your going to need an access path to the shed, from a design point of view it is probably not a good idea to have the door in the middle of the shed and the middle of the lawn as it divides up the garden, now where are you going to put the path, you may think ill put it to the side but this will not work as you will suffer from the line of desire...... (Figure that out)
Some of the deadly sins of design,
Wrong Plant. Impracticality, Muddle and complication, Mixed metaphors, Size and shape and Scale.

Last edited by Greengage on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris84

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one thanks
chris84

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think i'm ready for seeding,any tips before i go ahead and seed?

Photo0068.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  554.3 KB
 Viewed:  4004 Time(s)

Photo0068.jpg

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think i'm ready for seeding,any tips before i go ahead and seed?

From my lawn sowing tutorial.......

The ideal situation would be to sow the seed before you get the next heavy shower of rain as at that stage you will begin to loose the soil tilth. You will need to spread approx 45 grammes of seed per square metre, which can be broadcast by hand or use a wheeled spreader.

Firstly, give the grass seed you've bought a good mix with your hands, bringing the seed on the bottom of the bag/carton to the top and then mixing it throughout all the other seed. You carry this out because lawn seed mixture is made up of 3,4,5, or more types of grass seeds mixed together, you don't want to sow all the smaller seeds in one section of the lawn and the larger seeds in another. Divide the grass seed into 2 lots and spread half the seed whilst walking up and down the proposed lawn, with the other half being spread whilst walking left and right across the lawn.

The seed can be spread carefully by hand or you can spread it by mechanical means using a drop spreader or spinner spreader. When spreading any seed avoid spreading onto drives, patios and beds.

Lightly rake the seed into the soil with a spring rake (see image), do not drive it in or bury it. Follow this by lightly rolling the area with a half-filled water roller; the idea is to get firm seed and soil contact to ensure germination. Have some extra soil and seed to hand as a hollow or two may show up when rolling, you can then top up the soil and give it a shake of seed.

Depending on the weather conditions your seedlings will begin to appear within 2 to 3 weeks. Germination of the seed is surprisingly fast in warm, moist weather.

Should you be unlucky enough to receive an extended dry spell directly after sowing the seed (no rain approx 2 weeks) , you may have to consider artificial watering such as using a sprinkler on a large area or a watering can on a modest sized lawn. If you resort to using a sprinkler ensure that a good heavy watering is applied, not just a sprinkling. A gentle sprinkling will only wet the surface of the soil to encourage seed germination, but the moisture may evaporate by the time the seedlings need to put water seeking roots down; no further water available combined with drying conditions will result in grass damage.

Corners are infamous for slow germination of grass seed due to the rain shadow caused by two walls meeting. This low moisture = low germination, so you may have to apply some artificial watering or irrigation there.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: