Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

I've bought some seed spuds, now what?

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
JohnGalway
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: I've bought some seed spuds, now what? Reply with quote

From B&Q, I bought 4 bags of Desiree main crop, two bags each of Arran Pilot and Pentland Javelin. Complete impulse buy, and I don't know what I'm doing lol.

So here's a photo of one of the 4 bags of Desiree below. Did I do wrong buying ones with shoots like that? This bag has the biggest shoots of all the Desiree.

Here is one of the two Arran Pilot bags below. When I got home I noticed a whiff, one spud was red rotten. Some of the others had some moisture on them, which I presume was from the rotten one. I've thrown that one away. Can I keep the others? Should I wash the moisture off them?

The Pentland Javelin bags were also quite stalky. I guess this is because in B&Q they were right beside the door (lots of light) and the place was quite warm.

What are my options here regarding the stalky ones? Leave them on, rub them off? I won't have a place ready for planting any spuds for a week at least, how should I store them?

If I haven't completely fouled up here, what should I expect in terms of a harvest? (I know, I'm jumping to the end, have to prepare a plot, avoid blight, and I guess a lot of other things!).

Advice greatly appreciated,

ATB,

John.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need to wash the seed just dry off any moisture with a newspaper.
Some of the sprouts are a little to long but leave them be and put them in a bright airy place that is frost proof and dry in a single layer. Plant them as soon as the shoots are half inch or more and soil is getting warm. Keep the labels o9n them so that yu will notice which is which when harvesting.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

JohnGalway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Michael. I have started digging, but just today, been snowed under by life!

Marked out a plot 18' x 25' roughly, stepped it. Took off the grass and rolled it up on one "trench", broke up the soil, dug it out onto the grass at side of the trench, removing stones and bracken roots (sprayed two years ago).

Tomorrow I'll get the loan of a scrawing machine, that'll help me get the grass off quicker. I put the turf rolls upside down in the bottom of the trench. I'm in two minds whether to add rotted manure to each trench, or, dig the entire plot, dig out my "planting trenches" again and just add manure to those instead.

Next "trench" I dig I'll put the soil into trench one and so on until I reach the end of the plot, then put the soil from trench one which is on the grass now, into the final trench. If any of that makes sense.

I know which is better in the long term, Surprised just one is a lot more work right now than the other Surprised Very Happy

I've seen differing suggestions about row distance, from 18 inches apart to three feet!

I might put my earlies in at 18 inch rows and the main crop at three feet?

JohnGalway

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

My early spud leaves seem to be taking on some odd colour. You can see what I mean from the photos below, the yellowing is actually a bit worse in person than in the photos. Few questions:

What is it?
What causes it?
Is it any harm?
Can I "cure" it?

I have made a mistake I know about, I earthed up too early and too much. Took off some soil after a couple of days after I realised my error. Probably many more mistakes to make too!

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stalks are showing a cold weather effect and some slight frost damage, there is a difference, one occurs during the day and the other at night. Leave them be and when fine weather comes they will bounce back to life.
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock wrote:
the stalks are showing a cold weather effect and some slight frost damage, there is a difference, one occurs during the day and the other at night. Leave them be and when fine weather comes they will bounce back to life.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply! I had the photos up on another site as well, where it was suggested the yellowing could be magnesium deficiency? And the red lack of sunlight.

Weather seems to be set to pick up for the weekend thank God! I saw mid teens on Met site, had to look twice.
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo I took this evening, what's happened here? Friend reckoned it could be wind damage.

JohnGalway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit concerned about what's in the photographs below, especially the discolouration on the stalks. I don't know if this is normal or not, or perhaps an after effect of the high winds they suffered (the stalks literally moved in the ground, plenty of branches broken), or disease?

stonehead
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, looks to me like a bit of wind scorch and the ground looks very dry are you able to get water to them ?
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once it's not disease I'm happy enough.

I gave them some water this morning, not sure it's needed though after the heavy rain we got during the week. The photos could be deceptive in that regard as the surface is dark indicating moisture and not the lighter colour it went during the dry hot weather we had.
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz The small one was about the size of a hens egg!

niamh_h

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The broken stalks etc are due to the wind - happened a load of mine too. Plenty more wind and rain promised for the rest of the week so it looks like they will probably get a bit more of a battering unfortunately. The spuds look a great size - well done you!!! Must take a peak at mine this weekend ( but they were in the ground a bit later than yours).
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Niamh!

Dug two tops of each variety of early I planted. I'll leave them another while now, the first lot (the variety I sampled last night) are still a bit small, the others not so much! That's a No. 7 Opinel for scale.

Not sure what the craic is with the dark coloured spuds? Are they the seed spuds? I was told the seed spuds were meant to waste away and not be there come harvest but that might not be right?

sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dark ones are usually the seed spud but those in your photos look in good shape. They normally shrival up a bit or rot away.
JohnGalway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sirpsycho, I presume they're not to be eaten. The two at the bottom of the bottom photo looked to be making little sprouts again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: