Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Remove grass & weeds from hedging

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
paulb
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Remove grass & weeds from hedging Reply with quote

Hi
I planted a native hedge 3 years ago, its mainly hawthorn, black thorn, dog rose, wild roses etc. 50% of the hadge is thriving, this is also the section which has heavy plastic on the ground which has done an excellent job of keeping grass and weeds down.
The other half had a light plastic which disintergrated and now the grass and weeds are taking over and the hedge is not doing half as well.
They are all starting to bud at the moment, but I was wondering could I spray roundup at the base of the hedge to kill off the grass and weeds now or is it too late? The plan would be to then try and cover the ground in the same plastic, this will be difficult but worth it in the long run.

Thanks
P.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the hedge had been trained at the beginning to have a broad base instead of having lengthy stems then the weeds would not be a problem now. Bet you can see through the base of the hedge now and that is why weeds can thrive there. There is plenty time to spot treat the weeds with Roundup but be careful and avoid the hedge.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Greengage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a granular weedkiller instead of liquid, If using Roundup put a hood on the sprayer to avoid drift and do it during calm weather. Also make sure you use PPE, Mask,Boots, Gloves Goggles, keep children away and dont store excess spray.
paulb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,
I'll give roundup a go, I was just nervous that the hedge could be killed by roundup.
P
michelle M
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for hijacking your post but, Michael mentioned above about training hedge to have wide base, does that mean trimming top of hedge to thicken it?
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should start a new post for this, But if you plant a hedge say whitethorn they are usually bought as bare rooted whips after planting you would cut them beck to about 10 to 15 cms this will stimulate dormant buds lower down which will thicken the hedge otherwise over time you will end up with a hedge thicker higher up and bare at the base. It may seem a bit ruthless to cut back the whips but it needs to be done to encourage a thick hedge.
michelle M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explanation greengage.

Paulb, so far I've managed to keep weeds around the hedge fairly weed free by keeping the edge of the lawn sprayed about 2feet out from the hedge and weeding by hand what grows too close to the plants. But my hedge has doubled in lenght since last yr so we'll see how it goes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: