Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

what to graft onto birch rootstock?

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
corco2000
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: what to graft onto birch rootstock? Reply with quote

Hi, I have alot of young vigorous birch,ash and sycamore saplings. What could I graft onto these successfully? As I don't particullary need them. Would fruit trees graft well on them? Is there a general rule of what rootstock matches scion?:
Thank you paul
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is yes, If you dont want them dump them, theres so much more exciting things you could be doing in the garden.
Anonany
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a use for the trees yourself, you could consider offering them (free) somewhere like FreeCycle.org or FreeTradeIreland.ie.

Our garden is perpetually producing young tree seedlings and we've never had any problem re-homing them, particularly in the Wicklow area where quite a high percentage of gardens are roomy enough to take a few trees.

If you're not familiar with the sites I mentioned, just be a bit cautious about how much information you display "publicly". Time enough to exchange names, addresses, phone numbers and times when you're available AFTER you've found a genuine "taker" !
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It must be remembered that only apple scions can be grafted onto apple understock or onto existing apple trees. Similarly, cherry, pear, beech or birch can only be grafted to the same kind of understock or trees."

http://www.gardencentre.com/Information/GardeningTips/GreenThumbGuides/Grafting/tabid/127/default.aspx

i'd dump the sycamore, cos they're a weed. i'm sure you'd get takers for the ash and birch, as others have mentioned.
corco2000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for suggestions. That's a pity I was hoping to make something of them really, and I need fruit trees but they are expensive. Maybe it is time to take a spin to Aldi think they are doing cheap bareroot trees.
I will plant them out in feild along dith then I think. Thanks again for replys.
corco2000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just grafted apple cuttings I took a month ago and stuck in the ground onto birch. The birch is starting to leaf. Will keep update.
corco2000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just grafted apple cuttings I took a month ago and stuck in the ground onto birch. The birch is starting to leaf. Will keep update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: