Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Wormery

Most Recent Posts Planning the garden jobs month by month - NOVEMBER
Last post: Greengage
Time to go?
Last post: Greengage
Ponddigger breaks the rules (again)
Last post: tagwex
bamboo water feature
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Wormery Reply with quote

Hi all.

can you answer the following for me?

1. are worms (dendrobena worms) from the wormery dangerous to the garden? i've thrown some composte from my wormery into my garden compost and im now wondering if they will migrate to the main veg beds and feast!!

reason i ask....well i decided to move the wormery back outdoors today..while doing so i a had a peek inside and noticed very little movement..the wormery had become a tad wet/moist over the winter. the top two layers of compost had loads of baby worms most of which had died. there's huge amounts of worm eggs which is good.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Ive tey to meet someone who has success with these, As they always end up a sloppy mess without a lot of attention. Not sure of latin name but they are usually tiger worms.
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought it would take care of itself..once set up y'know. gona add some straw tomorrow,maybe turn the soil a few time to break it up..soild has become fairly compact. thanks for the reply.
rej
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no problem with your worms in the garden, they won't cause any hassle at all.
I've had a wormery for a number of years and they do need a bit of attention. My experience is that there is little that can't be fixed with lots of shredded newspaper. I'd suggest that you shred loads of newspaper and put on your rubber gloves and mix it in with the compost. That will soak up the excess liqiuid and get things moving again. I would hold off putting in too much more stuff until things have settled down a bit. If it is really wet and smelly, I would just toss that tray into a compost bin and leave it to just compost in the ordinary way and try to start a new, fresh tray. My wormery was indoors for a number of years but it has been outdoors for the last year and a half and they are much happier - even survived last winter!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: