Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Lawn Problems

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
slookietipp
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Lawn Problems Reply with quote

Hi all, that time of the year again, when the lawns start needing attention. My back lawn is rectangular, and at a guess 45ftx25ft. Anyway, because of the relatively wet winter, and 3 dogs constantly running and digging it up, it is gone very patchy, and needs attention asap! There is one big patch in the middle, that is patchy enough, but will probably come right when the weather improves. Then there are a few sections where there is no grass at all, and the soil is all compacted. And finally, to make matters worse, the youngest dog has taken to digging random holes in the lawn. I think I have her corrected on this, so hopefully that's the end of it. Anyway, any advice on how to get the perfect lawn back. I cut it last week, just the bare bit, and left the shreddings off on it.
The holes that the dog made, do I just fill with topsoil and re-seed, and then roll? The big patchy area in the middle, I was thinking of mixing sand, seed and fertiliser. Dunno what to do with the compacted areas. I'm kinda clueless, but want to get it sorted asap, so any advice appreciated.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect lawn needs a lot of attention, this is not possible with dogs either you want a perfedt lawn or the dogs, one must go.
slookietipp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
The perfect lawn needs a lot of attention, this is not possible with dogs either you want a perfedt lawn or the dogs, one must go.

Very insightful reply there! You know what I mean...I want a normal lawn which I have had for the last 2 summers with dogs. Rolling Eyes

ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: lawn Reply with quote

hi st any photos of your garden so we might help Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
slookietipp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok heres a few pics

2.JPG
 Description:
Lawn
 Filesize:  165.45 KB
 Viewed:  3435 Time(s)

2.JPG

3.JPG
 Description:
Lawn
 Filesize:  155.84 KB

3.JPG

4.JPG
 Description:
Lawn
 Filesize:  127.76 KB

4.JPG

michael brenock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lawn appears to have been made with soil that contains no stones, probably sieved out. The soil needs to be mixed with coarser soil or some grit and re-seeded. Do not put fertiliser in with seed, add it afterwards when grasss is growing. Drainage might also be a problem. Test for drainage is dig a hole with a spade one foot deep and one foot square and after a wet period of rain see how long it takes the water to soak away. If it takes more than a day then it needs attention in draining.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen worse so dont be disillousioned, Id rotovate it add some grit and reseed. If you have the money you could also lay roll out grass turf.
Clean up after the dogs regularly and if you have a bitch her urine will burn the grass not sure how to solve that unless you can explain to her she must not wee on the grass, after all the other fella got the picture not to be digging holes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: