Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

clay v topsoil

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bungaro
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: clay v topsoil Reply with quote

hi all!

been doing a lot of research here and on other sites as i've been having big problems with the drainage in my back garden the last couple of years. the house is about 4 years old in a new (ghost) estate and it looks as though the builders didn't put too much work into the gardens.

the back garden is north facing and doesn't get a huge amount of sun (especially in the winter). i think there are some parts which don;t get any direct sun at all. following advice i dug some test holes and it looks like about a foot down that theres a layer of compacted stones. so i'm assuming that this is the major problem and would need to be excavated but how far down would i have to go??

and this brings me to my last question, i don't know what type of soil i have in the garden but after reading some threads on here i'm thinking its more clay than topsoil. how do i know exactly what i'm dealing with?? if possible i'd love to avoid having to get a digger in to do the whole garden as its not that big and am hoping that i might be able just to dig up the clay (if thats what it is) and put down a layer of topsoil and horticultural grit. if it helps i can post up some photos.

thanks!
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likley your problem is caused by compaction by heavy machinery during the building, Check the soil locally to see what it like if you are on a ghost estate there must be plenty of top soil lying around, When the weather improves rotovate it with a large rotovator not a merry tiller which will drag you around the garden, you can then add grit or manure and rotovate it in,
It you have heavy clay soil you could also have a hard pan ynderneath which could cause flooding as water will not be able to drain away, without acyually being on site its difficult to diagnose, im sure more peole will have other suggestions.
bungaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks greengage.

trying to upload pics of the garden but they are too big. if the compacted stones are about a foot down is there anything i can do with this that doesn't involve using a digger???
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have stones and not a hard pan it should drain easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: