Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

New Allotments in D.24

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: New Allotments in D.24 Reply with quote

There was an open day for a new allotment, yesterday 11th February, the farmer who supplies our family with our weekly egg needs, Tim Mc Glynn has converted 2 acres of his farm in Ballycullen, (Tallaght) to allotments and has had a good interest on the day, the plots are 6.25 x 16 meteres at €220 per annum. I enquired about taking a plot with a view to erecting a polytunnel on site, he said he would prefer to buy a multi span tunnel and rent out space within it if interest in the tunnel was there, so here's hoping for next year, unless i win the lotto and buy an acre of my own!!
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article in the Sunday Times today about Dublin allotment holders not maintaining their allotments,

I can't see why Mr. McGlynn would object to someone, who's obviously really interested in allotmenteering, putting up a polytunnel. But then, what do I know?

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
ian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i read the Sunday times article it seems people have a romantic view of self sufficiency because of all the programmes out there wonderfully edited. I thought richard Corrigan's farm in Cork city was the most fair representation of all that i've seen with leaders emerging from the group and individual pioneers doing their own thing regardless of what was agreed by the group on top of that 25% of them just left altogether.
the guy with the allotments local to me was more concerned about loss of light to the neighbours plot with the erection of the tunnel also he seemed concerned with the idea of uniformity, aesthetics.
i put it up there to if there might be like minded folks in the local area, get some numbers together to get a commercial tunnel up, the allotment i have is with SDCC and is suffering an increasing vermin problem already this year due to the mild winter no doubt but also to about 20-25% of plots being in a state of abandonment. Hence my desire to move (and rant ! ).
Regards,
Ian.
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe the annual cost of your allotment. When I looked into getting one in Julianstown and it was €600 per year. The allotments never took off because of the cost.

I always thought that there would be a committee to look after the allotments, and that people who have lost interest would loose their plot and someone more interested would take it over. There are a few allotments near the Boyne, beside where I live and there is no hope in hell of me getting one because of a waiting list !!
ian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maeve at that price you would be better off getting 10 like minded souls to go in together on an acre between the lot of you.
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:

I can't see why Mr. McGlynn would object to someone, who's obviously really interested in allotmenteering, putting up a polytunnel. But then, what do I know?

At a guess it's down to what will actually be done with it. Used to store spare TVs, an old fridge or washing machine, a few mattresses....
Then no renewal the following year!

Last edited by Gautama on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gautama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeve Drogheda wrote:

I always thought that there would be a committee to look after the allotments, and that people who have lost interest would loose their plot and someone more interested would take it over.

Yes, this is the theory where I have a council allotment, but it doesn't really pan out like that.
Gautama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
Interesting article in the Sunday Times today about Dublin allotment holders not maintaining their allotments,

As an allotment holder in Dublin I'd love to read this article. Anybody got an online login, to copy and paste it in here, somewhere? Or a scan?

I'd love to read it, but not for £2.
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gautama wrote:
kindredspirit wrote:

As an allotment holder in Dublin I'd love to read this article. Anybody got an online login, to copy and paste it in here, somewhere? Or a scan?

Second that. Waited years for my plot and watched dozens of plots left idle and spreading weed seeds all last year. Yet the demand is so high the waiting list has been suspended. Fingal coco doing a terrible job enforcing the terms of the leases. Hopefully this year it will be better managed.
collyb
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Allotments in D.24 Reply with quote

ian wrote:
There was an open day for a new allotment, yesterday 11th February, the farmer who supplies our family with our weekly egg needs, Tim Mc Glynn has converted 2 acres of his farm in Ballycullen, (Tallaght) to allotments and has had a good interest on the day, the plots are 6.25 x 16 meteres at €220 per annum. I enquired about taking a plot with a view to erecting a polytunnel on site, he said he would prefer to buy a multi span tunnel and rent out space within it if interest in the tunnel was there, so here's hoping for next year, unless i win the lotto and buy an acre of my own!!
collyb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Allotments in D.24 Reply with quote

would u have the number to that place for the allotments in ballycullen just i am looking to get an in allotment thanks
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gautama wrote:
kindredspirit wrote:

Log onto the "Sunday Times" and scan the Pages until you come to the Article in question.
ian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Allotments Reply with quote

Hi Collyb did you go up and see Mr. Mc Glynn after all, any luck with those allotments did they suit ?
regards, ian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: