Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

how do i keep slugs out of my polytunnel

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
amandag
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: how do i keep slugs out of my polytunnel Reply with quote

i have trouble keeping slugs out of the polytunnel they are destroying everything. i have tried beer and slug pellets but they dot work i would love some help with this please
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of MartinByrne49's recent posts on this forum.....maybe you could try homoeopathic remedies.
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: snails Reply with quote

Hellow Amandag, how long have you had the tunnel? are you growing lettuce in winter? is it damp? have you just put it over a fresh garden? have you stuff lying on the ground? Do you know you can eat them? (Have"nt tried it myself yet!) not joking, they do in parts of England. give us a rundown and more info. Thanks.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the post homeopathy in the garden
Margo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had the same problem and we've had our tunnel 3 years. We have tried beer traps, slug pellets, copper bands and homoeopathic stuff and none of it works. I think its just a case of there's stuff to eat in there with all the right conditions. The only real way is go out at night with a torch and catch the blooming things.
Also clear the floor of things like empty flower pots where they like to snuggle down in. Regularly look under bricks, flowerpots with stuff in and boxes on the ground as they get under there as well.
greengiant
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting in a sacrificial plant that particularly appeals to them, to entice them away?
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the organic slug pellets (Ferrous phosphate?) on the ground covering, and at the sides. On the raised beds, we use Nemasys nematodes, and I go out regularly with a head torch and squish any I see. They still nibble away, especially at this time of year when there is not a lot to eat, but these methods combined seem to minimise the damage. You will never eradicate them.
amandag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to everyone for all your repliesabout slugs amanda
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having trouble with slugs eating bedding plants that I had for sale to the public. Customers didn't like even one nibble out of a leaf. I eradicated the slugs by building a small pond in one corner of the tunnel and frogs soon colonised it. The results were amazing even though the frogs did scare customers as they jumped out at them when choosing their plants!
dormouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great inishindie, I'd like to hear more about it. How big is the pond? Did you have to use any aquatic plants and rainwater? Does it make the tunnel more humid do you think?
Cheers
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only about 2x1.5 feet in size and was in the corner of the tunnel with stones in the water poking out so the baby frogs could crawl out. I only had a few marginal plants in the water and the algae came from a little pond. I use a bit of pond liner to keep the water in but I don;t think I needed it as the ground was really wet. Pity I don't have any pictures to show. It was very low maintenance and looked very pretty. You couldn't walk at one time for baby frogs...lots of fun, none of them returned the following year though but that might be because we lived next to really boggy land and had no reason too...

Here are some froggy facts:

The common frog was introduced to Ireland in the 18th century. As yet, there aren't any frogs that are the edible type in this country - you'll have to go to France or southern England to sample the frog legs delicacy.

Frogs will breed in any pond, however temporary; I saw some spawn in a puddle in the middle of the road once. Each female lays up to 2000 eggs every spring. These start small but quickly absorb water and swell to form the familiar spawn.

If you have a patch of water or even an area that is very wet you might have to introduce the frogs. If you want to catch a few frogs and add them to the pond then it's worth remembering that the male frogs are a good deal smaller than the females.

Toads may be distinguished from frogs by their dry, warty skin and they don't have a hump on their backs like frogs. The toads are generally smaller than frogs. They also prefer deeper water to breed. Like the frog they are very useful in the garden.

dormouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific, didn't think such a small pond could work. I think I'll give it a go. Thanks
Corky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen a frog in our polytunnel so ended up here after a Google search to see if they were a problem. Smile
So, frogs will generally not damage the plants at all? The massive damp vegetable marrow leaves were an ideal shelter for them so I'll make a proper pond in one corner if that'll keep the slug population under control.
I'm also looking for ladybirds to keep down the whitefly - knowing my luck the frogs will eat all the ladybirds Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: