Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello from Drumcondra

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MartinByrne49
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Hello from Drumcondra Reply with quote

Hi i'm new to the site and am interested in learning about gardening. I started gardening properly in 2011 up to then it was pots and containers. Have used the site for tips on pruning etc. I grow my own veg and fruit in the back garden and so far so good.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Martin, we could all benefit from your homoeopathic expertise, and hopefully you will learn something from the forum too.
I use homoeopathy for the family but have never used it in the garden. If you have any ideas about the fungus that is currently affecting escallonias, I would love to try a remedy on my escallonia hedge !
MartinByrne49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive
Maybe if you could post a photo of the fungus here plus any other symptoms or observations you may have, i may be able to help. Yeah most people don't think of using remedies on plants and find it a bit odd, i did too to be honest, but they do work and there is no worries about toxicity etc.

Sive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have no leaves left on my escallonia, so can#t post any photos. What is happening is that the shrubs come into leaf normally in the spring and look totally healthy early in the season, flower normally too ( pink flowers ). As the summer progresses, an occasional leaf starts to turn yellow and close up you can see little black spots on these yellowing leaves, and then they start to fall off the plant.
By the autumn the plants are nearly bare, where normally they would hold on to their leaves all winter. Otherwise the plants are growing quite vigorously.
MartinByrne49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive

Let me have a think about this. I presume it's well fertilised and the soil is ok etc. I'll come back to you later. Martin

Sive

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin.....yes our soil seems to be OK and anyway is constantly being improved as we recycle everything into our compost heaps and we also have an unlimited supply of horse manure. It's a young garden.....it was farmland/pasture up to 6 years ago. This escallonia problem is being reported all over the country, though strangely enough we have a single white-flowered escallonia in another part of the garden that is unbothered by this fungal problem ( so far )
MartinByrne49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive
I had a good look at this and the most likely remedy seems to be Salicylic Acid otherwise known as Aspirin.! Don't be tempted to use Aspirin in it's raw form as the action is different when it is in homeopathic form. The remedy is called Sal-Ac 6x and Nelsons should have it. The instructions are the same from a dose point of view. I would treat now and see how you go during the growing season. Please let me know how you get on.
Kind regards
Martin Byrne

Sive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin, I've taken a note of that and definitely will be trying it out. And of course I will let you know how I get on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: