Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Online seeds

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Seedling
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Online seeds Reply with quote

Has anyone ever ordered any seeds from this company in the UK? They deliver quite cheaply to Ireland and the prices are very low compared to waht we pay here

http://www.seedparade.co.uk/

Many thanks
Conor
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try realseeds.co.uk as well, very good range
sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look at brown envelope seeds in Cork. I bought seeds from them this year so hopefully they will be good.
sharonl
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never tried them, I usually get mine from seedaholic.com

sharon

tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have"nt tried brown envelope in Cork, yet, just one example, Marshialls and Bakker in England, Shirley tomato seeds, England- 25 seeds- 5to6euro, Garden center in Rosscomon-5seeds-5.50euro. This rip off crap has to stop. I want to spend my money here. When I brought my seeds back to the center I was told to pick three packets free. How many people had bought them not knowing? Can anyone highlight other examples? And please don"nt come back with that old chestnut about wages and rent ect, ect, that has nothing to do with the amount of seeds in a packet. it seems to me that the supplier and garden center have worked out that if the amature gardener wants to plant 25 tomatoe plants he"ll have to buy 5 packets! 30 odd euro! now is"nt that a nice little earner! Sorry about the rant, just sick and tired of being screwed from Leinster house down, even to my bloody sceptic tank!
sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand what you're getting at tunnelsofhens10, Take at look at Brown envelope seeds in cork. I got 25 tom seeds for E2.50, can't be bad to that!

Also look at the real seed company in Wales. Both companies sell heirloom seeds which have been grown in Ireland or UK, plus they incourage the customer to save seeds to keep these varirties alive. THIS IS A PRACTICE WE SHOULD ALL BE DOING!!

If we start saving seeds we won't have to buy in as many and we're also growing with proper seeds and not the modified seeds that are coming into the market more & more.

Check it out!!
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all quoting personal experiences and I get great service and quality seeds from Dobies in Paignton. I never go anywahere else.

On saving your own seed, I always save Runner Beans, Broad Beans and Peas for the following year but just buy one packet of each in case I do something wrong. If anyone wants to study the subject properly, there's a book called 'Seed to Seed' by Susan Ashworth (ISBN 0-9613977-7-2) that goes into all aspects of seed saving.

nemo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: moles seeds ornamental and vegetable catalogue Reply with quote

try moles seeds in uk buy brassicas in large quantity 10g of greyhound cabbage for 1.90 sterling .you might ask your self what will i do with 10g of cabbage seed most brassica seeds will last for ten years you do the maths carrot and parsnip seed should be bought fresh every year.moles have pelleted carrot seed early nanths 2 2,500 pelleted carrot seed for 2.25 sterling or 10g of graded seed for 2.00 sterling.use your money to buy seeds from a company that have good seed at good prices.some people might say support irish seed companys buy why are they supplying somthing we cant get some where else.send off for a moles seed catalogue it will open your eyes
regards nemo
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnymount farm wrote:

Both companies sell heirloom seeds which have been grown in Ireland or UK

The Irish Seed Saver Association also sells heirloom and heritage seeds.
Unfortunately, many of them have become heirloom and heritage for a reason, though some will give you a good, disease free, harvest. The Lumper springs to mind. I wouldn't go solo with heirloom/heritage!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: