Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

New Beginnings in the vegetable garden.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: New Beginnings in the vegetable garden. Reply with quote

Hi Fellow Gardeners,

I have started this thread to get ideas from you all on what you are growing this year. It can be the ordinary and the extra ordinary, I would just love to know if any of you have plans for your vegetable gardens in 2012.

I have made a start on the usual, chitting potatoes, planting onion and garlic and preparing my seed trays for my new heated propagator.(birthday gift).

One thing I did last year was dry my tomato seeds and cucumber seeds and am curious to see if they will work out this year. I have spent the winter making seaweed tea, for feeding my gardent his year, and I collected a lot of seaweed and rotted it down on my raised vegetable beds.

So now it is over to you all, what are your plans for 2012, new gardeners and older gardeners, all ideas welcome. I have space for more veg so any suggestion welcome, and I will also keep a photo diary of my growing year.

Have fun
stonehead
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maeve,

This will be my 2nd year on my allotment and have been busy forking over the plot adding some manure and seeweed as well on the few fine days we get.

As for last year was happy enough with the return i got, still eating spuds and the leeks are still going. The summer cabbage was great as was the calabrese swede and parsnips, as for my onions well not so good as they all rotted soon after going into the shed i think i may have over fertilized them as they all had very thick stalks come late summer so a lesson learned from that one.

For the coming season i think more of the same and some winter varietys including cauliflower, sprouts and cabbage would be nice around christmas and newyear. Still to decide on what spuds to sow this year would like to try earlys just went for main crop last year Desiree which were great, a lovly spud and Sarpo mira which were a disappointment flavor wise but good yeild.

What are you going to sow (spuds) yourself.

Regards,

Stonehead.
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Maeve,Stonehead..

Looking forward to sowing some hamburg parsley..a friend of mine gave me some seeds to try,apparently it's a variety of parsnip. the parsnip root grows underground while the green shoots/leaves are parsley. trying romanesco cauliflower and garlic this year. need cucumbers to crop well this time round,last year was terrible.

also brought seaweed onto the plot for the first time..might buy another compost bin especially for seaweed!

good luck for the coming season..
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stonehead,

I have grown desiree for a couple of years and they have been my favourite potato. I have grown, duke of york, homeguard, golden wonder, charlotte and lady clare., and maris piper. Duke of york was good as was but my husband and I do not like flowery spuds, this year I am trying Pentland Javelin for a change and see how they taste. The maris piper has a lovely flavour.

Have you every tried something unusual, I wanted to try melons last year but did not have the courage!! I have a glass house, so anything is fair game.

My husband just built me a small raised bed for my herbs, as I had a wonderful successful time drying them out and storing them, and . . . I am still using them now.

Do you know anyone how much space you need for raspberries?

M
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Meave, you can plant them 12 - 18 inches apart.
stonehead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maeve,

I planted a couple of Asparagus crowns last year but you can't harvest any in the first year of growth so it will next year before i get to try them, also had a go at Chilli's which i grew on the sitting room window and they were still growing at Christmas.

Also have a 4 by 8 raised bed out the back in which i'l grow my herbs, scallions and salad leafs this year. As for something unusual well, i'l have a look in the old books and see if anything takes my fancy will keep you posted.

As for Raspberries, they prefer a light slightly acidic, well-drained but moisture retentive soil. As for how much room you need ,well plant canes about 1foot apart with posts at either end of the row with wire stretched between to suport the canes as they grow on. Cut canes to ground level after fruiting.

Was looking at Melons in the book and they don't look to difficult seeing you have the propagator and the glasshouse, give them a bash.

All the best,

Stonehead.
NDB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We moved house last year and i've turned the back garden in to a veg plot, growing just enough for the two of us.

Last year we had

Duke of York, Maris Piper, Parsnips, Carrots, Leeks, Brussel Sprouts, Peas, Onions, Shallots, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Calabresi, Kale, Cauliflower, Blueberries, Apples, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Rosemary, Thyme, Mint, Chives, Parsley, Celery, Salad Leaves, Swiss Chard, Garlic, Squash, Sweetcorn, Chillies, Tomatoes, Savoy Cabbage, Beetroot.

The sweetcorn, Chilies and Squash were all epic failures. The Cauliflower didn't turn out especially great.

Parsnips, Beetroot and Duke of Yorks were probably the most successful.

I've invested in a pair of mini greenhouses for this year in an attempt to get the chilies and tomatoes better.

The raspberries are 6 bushes spread over about 12 ft although they are expanding all the time.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I don't have much space for the raspberries, so I might just plant a blackberry bush instead. I spent my childhood topping and tailing gooseberries for my Dad, so there is NO WAY I will ever grow gooseberries, memories are too bad.

As for the melons I was reading through the Fruit Expert and I think I will give them a bash. I grew chillies successfully buy my husband would not let me use them. As for asparagus this is a great idea and I have the space to leave them too.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

Maeve
dormouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try raspberries in a pot.
Have been looking into melons myself and apparently 'sweetheart' is a good variety to go for in Ireland, and they do well enough even in a poor summer.
Aldi are doing asparagus next Thursday ...
http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_20527.htm
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doormouse,

Do I need a large pot and does it have to go in a sunny spot. Thanks for the Aldi tip on asparagus, that is a definite so!

I will look up 'sweetheart' over the week end and see if I can grow it this year.
dormouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maeve, I haven't done it myself but through reading around I know some people have done it succesfully. A fairly big pot would be good, say 12 inches minimum, but the bigger the better so you can keep a good number of canes. They would also throw up suckers eventually so you need to keep those in check. Pot doesn't need to very deep apparently as they are shallow rooted. I guess if you had something like a trough or a large tuperware box (ikea have a great range and cheap) that would do. 50/50 soil and multipurpose seems to work well and fertilse and then mulch with rotted manure or compost from around now. Autumn varieties would be good as they shouldn't need support.
I think Lidl had soft fruit last week? Or Aldi maybe? Woodies seem to be getting big into grow your own this year and have packs of softfruit for 2.99.
stonehead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Was looking at Aldi specials and these are asparagus seeds and it will be three years before you see a return for your time and effort, if you use crowns which are allready a year or two old you could be cutting in year two.

Great to see the hibernation is over, happy days.

Stonehead.
dormouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stonehead, no these are crowns. Have seen them before and this time they are listed as starter plants. The strawberries and rhubarb will be dormant crowns too.
stonehead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corected dormouse, did not look closely enough thought they were seed packets.
Ado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Mr Midleton's yesterday to buy seed potatoes...and got carried away. I bought Orlas, Sharpes Express and HomeGuard and had to stop myself buying any more! I was like a kid in a candy shop.
Also got garlic and some very early spring-planting shallots.
Hoping that I'll get to the allotment on Sunday.
Ado
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: