Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

New Beginnings in the vegetable garden.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Most Recent Posts What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage
Whats wrong with my apple tree
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Brexit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million Maeve. I've actually invested in a couple of old books so trying my hand at pickling, jams and even started off some rhubarb wine Smile But thanks for the offer!
I pickled some beetroot and have been eating it for a while. There are plenty of recipies on the net for the spiced vinegar. I just used malt white vinegar with a little sugar and then chucked in some pepper corns and a bay leaf. You can just fiddle with the recipe to your own taste. Really easy and they keep for a long time. I'm also storing some in pots of used compost. The tops do sprout again but I just take these off and eat them as part of a salad. Really juicey and unusual, lovely. Havn't tried it but I believe beetroot crisps are nice. And also read that it is fine to freeze them if you have any room left in the freezer!
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pickled scallions because I had so many, and I made my own mint sauce out of the garden mint. My husband does not like pickled beet root so that is a no no, and I work for a crisp factory!!! I have seen and tasted the beetroot crisps with and without flavours on them.

Guess it is the usual boil them for 35 mins, then drain and roast them with garlic and olive oil in the oven for 20mins.

The freeser is filling nicely !!!
dormouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crisp factory?? Lucky you! Someone recommended Shorvedar chukander. It's an Indian dish using beetroot and onion, I'm sure you could use your scallions. Havn't had the time to try it ...

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/534187

Going a bit off topic so I'll sign off Smile
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try out that recipe over the week end for sure. I love cooking indian food.

I also saw SimonJ had a recipe for beetroot and blackberrys on the site so that is another I am going to try also.

Thanks Doormouse
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I harvested my sweetcorn over the last few days and they are simply devine. The flavour is so sweet and delicious, and as they don't take up much space I will grow them again next year. They are very easy even for first time gardeners.

Has anyone any good ideas on how to freeze them, do I blanch them before freezeing or just freeze straight away.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Has anyone any good ideas on how to freeze them, do I blanch them before freezeing or just freeze straight away.

For short-term storage (one week), wrap the whole cob (including sheath) in damp paper towels and place in the salad crisper compartment of your refrigerator.

Longer-term, the cobs themselves will keep for twelve months in your deep freeze.
To freeze you must boil the corn cobs for 4 to 6 minutes, remove and place under cold water, then freeze in plastic bags, cling film, or tinfoil.

From my piece here....... Sweet corn growing - Sweet corn how to grow, tips, varieties, cooking.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: