Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

New Beginnings in the vegetable garden.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex
What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a google about it. From what i understand it's pretty essential you dont let the male flowers develop.
yaut
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a quick google and this what i found:
"With Cucumber a lot is written about removing male flowers as they make the fruit taste bitter. This only applies to highly developed, such as F1, indoor varieties which produce the long sleek cucumbers that you find in supermarkets."
dormouse

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well let me know how they turn out, I read it was a general rule. Cheers
yaut

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I ate my first cucumber grown this year. I just couldn't wait any longer, and it tasted absolutely delicious, sweet and juicy Cool
dormouse

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Had my first one on Friday, but it is only a 'lunch box' size type Smile Hoping it does well, can eat them every day no problem.
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was away for two weeks holidays, (typical I go to the sun and the sun comes to Ireland, I arrive home and so does the rain) and everything seemed to grow to double it's size. I have been eating the lettuce, scallions and herbs but now I can add the cucumbers to the meal.

The tomatoes are very slow, but lots of flowers so if we get a bit of heat and sun I should have a nice crop. I have read through the threads on the tomatoes and lots of people are having problems.

I just wish I could cut the grass and tidy around but the weather would allow me out into my garden!!
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is lots of growth in the garden at the moment.

I have lots of growth with my tomatoes and lots of flowers but very little fruit coming. I am putting it down to the weather. The cucumbers are really good, but the brocolli have very small heads this year. I guess I will be using the search bar at the top of the page to get some answers.

But overall the veggies are doing well inspite of the weather we are having. Even the apple trees we cut back severely last year have fruit. So maybe just keep going.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have rampant cucumbers this year. I have already picked 6 and eaten them and there is 10/12 growing very well waiting to be picked.

The brocolli has been growing very quickly and for some reason we have lots of small heads of brocolli unlike previous years when we had large heads and much later in the year.

Finally the tomatoes have decided to show up and we will have a good crop if just a bit later than usual. I took Monty Dons tip on the onions and they are doing really well and are very large.

Over the past two weeks I have been drying out my herbs to use over winter and we have a coffee jar full of herbs already. Herbs are they best they have ever been since we put them in the raised bed by the greenhouse.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots going on in my little plot. Despite the weather I have had success with onions, kale, garlic, lettuce, scallions, big success with cucumber, beetroot, sweetcorn and limited success with brocolli, cauliflower, and carrotts. Tomatoes and spud not good. At last I have tomatoes but green fruit and now that the sun is out I will probably have too many tomatoes together.

Potatoes, poor yield but everyone is saying the same. Will make a few changes to the variety I grow next year, and I will be over using the search bar at the top for sure.

Senetti's are not as good as previous years but my roses are great, sweet pea are finally in full flower and the house is full of flowers from the garden, maybe summer is here Laughing
yaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you growing your cucumber outside or in the greenhouse?
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yaut,

No I grew the cucumbers in a large pot in the greenhouse. I put two plants in the one pot and it has been fantastic. The steaks reach the roof of the greenhouse and I still have loads of cucumbers dangling down.

My cauliflowers bolted before I got a chance to get to them. But I have managed to freeze, kale, carrotts, rhubarb, and beetroot. I have jars of dried herbs to use over the winter, and my onions and garlic are the best crop I have ever had. Lots more to harvest and I am particularly intrested in how my sweetcorn come on, I see some yellow hairy cobs coming on now, and wondering how long do I wait?
dormouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Maeve!! Mind if I ask how you froze the kale? Was it like herbs? chooped and frozen in ice cube squares? Thanks
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doormouse,

i normally blanch the veg before I freeze them but cabbage and kale I don't, I just pick it wash it dry it in a salad spinner and put large quantities in to bags, and the cook the kale from frozen. Last christmas I used my kale instead of sprouts and everyone enjoyed it.

By the way i don't freeze the herbs, I dry them in the greenhouse and put them in jars. I them move the delicate herbs in to the green house for winter.

Have you had any success.
dormouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maeve. Yes the curly kale is doing great. Had the first few leaves last week with a little dollop of sweet chilli sauce and garlic. Absolutely delish Smile Hoping to get the kids interested in the greens. I'll be sure to try freezing some. First year on the plot and just realising storage and preserving is a big part of GYO!! Cucumbers have been great too, beginners luck I guess - mini ones called superbel. Can't eat them all. Lost the spuds to blight and the garlic all split up but apart from that I'm happy with everything else. Learning so much in the first year on the plot. Next year will be so much less stress and worrying Smile
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doormouse,

I think I will try the chilli and garlic on the kale this week end. I have too many scalliions so I have been tossing the kale in a pan with the scallions and it is really tasty.

There are plenty of books on how to keep the produce you grow and i am sure I can lend you one if you want to send me a pm.

Have you any suggestions for beetroot, I have tons of the stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: