Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

New Beginnings in the vegetable garden.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts Brexit
Last post: Greengage
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex
What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ado,

I know what you mean, you can get really carried away with the choice!! I decided two years ago to only grow what we can store and eat and not grow too much. But I usually get carried away, a seed packet is small but what it produces has to be eaten or stored.

I got some brocolli seeds going today in the heated propagator and an ordinary propagator in the greenhouse to see what grows better. The thing I find hardest is not too get carried away at this time of year and sow the seed too early and be left with nothing to show for the enthusiasm.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe that the plants I put in the heated propagator are so big and strong, the cucumbers are flying, brocollii are really tall, and even the tomatoes are doing well. The brocolli that I put in the greenhouse are coming through also.

The onions are coming through as is the garlic, and the garlic I planted last autunm is very strong. I am going plant the rest of the seeds this week end.

How are the rest of you doing? Anything growing?
NDB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only new thing I have visible is the garlic I planted a couple of weeks back. Raspberries, apples and blueberries all threatening to bud.

I started some peas and broad beans on a windowsill inside, they are starting to come through, will put them outside back end of next week and hope for the best.
stonehead
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my seed potatoes on tuesday, went for home gaurds and yes i went for sarpo mira again this year, I know there not a favorite here on this site but on weighing up the pro,s and con,s and with my allotment being a couple of miles outside Galway and they been blight resistant i just did'nt want to take any chances. Also got sturon set s from aldi, hope they go ok. Have been holding back on my cabbage and broccoli as i went a bit early last year i think and they failed but with this weather been so mild i will go ahead in the next day or two.

stonehead.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I put seeds in ordinary and heated propogators with interesting results so far, the brocolli in the heated one is very leggy and the ones in the greenhouse are much stronger and look much better.

Did I do something wrong? I didn't leave the heat on too long. I put cucumbers in at the same time and they are perfect. I have tomatoes in at the moment but I have not put the heat on for too long, one or two of the plants are a bit leggy, but the rest are fine.

How do you regulate the heat, the on/switch I suppose!!

I put the rest of my seeds in propogators in the greenhouse to see how I get on.
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maeve, the trick with heated propagators is to get the seedlings out as soon as they germinate. The extra heat does cause them to get leggy. So even if all the seeds don't germinate together, take the tray or modules out. The ones that aren't showing yet will be well on their way and come up soon on the window sill. I made a mistake and sowed different types of seeds in cells of the same tray. Some came up quickly and I left them in waiting for the others so I could take the whole tray out. The first seedlings got leggy quickly. Now I cut up the trays and keep different things separately or else multi-sow in small pots to prick out later.
I don't switch the propagator on and off. I leave it on constantly and out of sunlight where it could get too warm. I just keep a close eye on it so I can get seedlings out as soon as they show. Then they go straight into the tunnel, with exception of very tender things like toms and peppers that need to go on the window sill.
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maeve and all,

Looking forward to starting myself. I should get most of my seeds delivered by early next week and then it's liftoff!

Collecting my seed spuds today from a friend who grows them commercially. Dont know what he has but getting excited to find out, feel like a kid going to the sweet shop.

Going to start my chilis off in a heated prop tonight - first time using one.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doormouse,

I took your advice and took out the seedlings as soon as they started to show and you were right, all worked out very well. Tomatoes and cucumbers doing very well, and very strong also. Very useful advice, thanks. Almost everything is in the glasshouse and thriving.

I have been busy with the garden as a whole. Cutting back shrubs, climbers and generally sorting out the garden for the summer.

I have planted the spuds on the 27th March and hope they will do well, I know the desiree always do well for me, just wondering about the pentland javelin, never grew them before. My cucumbers are so big and strong that they are going to be planted in their summber pots this week end. Lettuce and scallions are growing in pots in the green house, so well en route for a bountiful summer.

Glad to see you back sirpsycho, let us know what variety of spud you get, I have a vested interest in this as I work for Tayto/Hunky Dory, and I have learned a lot about potatoes from the growers.

I have an empty bed and will be looking around the garden centres to see what I can get this week end.

I will post photos over the week end.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an early easter present, as I don't eat chocolate, my darling husband gave me some Sweet Corn plants he got in Homebase as my easter egg, so I have decided to plant them in my spare raised bed, when the weather gets warmer. Any advice would be appreciated, although I think the search bar at the top of the page will be used intensely!!
richrua

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a forum Maeve.

This year I am trying a few different seed potatoes - Red Duke Of York and Ballydoon. I am also trying some heritage veg - Irish Preans, Martock beans, and mayo cabbage.

Apart from that it is my usual purchases of too many seed packets for the time and space that I have!!!

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi richrua,

I grew the duke of york spuds a few years ago and they had a fantastic flavour, bit of butter and yum!! As for the seed packets, what is the date on some of them, last year I got presents of lots of seeds, but most were in date untill this year, so I kept half back, and have not had to buy many seeds this year.

I have two experiments going, my friend told me how to dry seeds from tomatoes and cucumber so I am dying to see what type of fruit and how much they will produce. And for FREE!!
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Maeve!

Great to be back to growing once again Smile

To answer your question, I got 4 different types of spuds to grow. (The guy had lots more but 4 was plenty for me!)

Bionica 2nd early (good resistance to blight)
Salad Blue 2nd early
Golden Wonder
Roosters
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sirpsycho,

I have grown Golden Wonder and salad blue, personal taste of course, but I didn't like the golden wonder, easy to grow but too waxy for me, The salad blue were a great spud, and I had no problems with blight.

A potato grower has offered me Sassy, a very white potato, which I am going to try and grow. Aparently great for making chips!!

I have decided to use my spare raised bed for sweet corn this year. Can anyone recommend a late variety of raspberry, as I have space for a few canes and I would love autunm raspberries.

M
Qzy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeve Drogheda wrote:
Can anyone recommend a late variety of raspberry, as I have space for a few canes and I would love autunm raspberries.

M

Autumn Bliss will fit the bill for you
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Qzy,

I have sourced a supplier and will be collecting my new canes tomorrow.

M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: