Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Apple-cedar rust???

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Apple-cedar rust??? Reply with quote

Hi - I planted an Elstar apple tree in October. I just noticed today that some branches have small orange 'pimples' about the size of a match head. It struck me as strange. After a bit of research I came across apple-cedar rust. This is a totally amateur dignosis as this is the first tree I ever planted, and I'm hoping it is not this. I read that symtoms tend to manifest in spring/early summer on the leaves of trees so hopefully I'm wrong.
Any thoughts please? If it is, is there anything I can do or should I just get rid of it now?
Thanks a lot
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like coral spot. Remove infected piece and monitor plant.
dormouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Greengage, I think you hit the nail on the head. I read up on it and it fits perfectly.Thing is the infection is on the upper part of the main trunk rather than a side branch. Wish I had a photo, but all the side branches are below this single upright part of the trunk.
If I did manage to contain it by pruning do you think it would be pointles carrying on with this tree? It is about 6 foot high at the moment (m26) and the part I would need to prune out is about a foot and a half. Would it be forever stunted?
Thanks
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you dont prune below the graft it may be ok but you will have to wait a while for it to develop. Pruning back will stimulate doemant buds to develop, these can be trained as espaliers very low, check out pics here. http://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/woodbridgefruittrees/content/10-espaliers. dont mind the site its the pictures you need to look at. Get a sharp blade peel back the bark lower down if it is green underneath you have a chance if it is brown afraid its dead start again get a new plant from reliable supplier.
dormouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's well above the graft union. Took another look at it today and the infected section is dead and everything below it is living wood and not infected (I scratched the bark). So out it comes and fingers crossed for the rest. The espalier is a nice idea. Thanks a lot for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: