Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello From the Wild West

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Susie D
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Hello From the Wild West Reply with quote

Greetings from Fermanagh! I found this site by accident - looking for info on buying mature and semi mature trees and shrubs in Ireland. I think I might find the answer to this and more from this community, I hope so.
I've been a gardener from an early age and wherever I have lived I've made a garden. We have lived here nearly 13 years and garden on about 1/3 acre of 'bog'. That is to say our road is known locally as the 'Bog Road'.
The house has been in the same family since it was built 80+ years ago and it has been limed in the past to grow veg. I did wonder when the beautiful, dark blue hydrangea I planted came up pink the following year! I garden on peat but I can't grow camellias or rhodos.
Half the garden is woodland/orchard. Other than a tidy up every winter I have done little with this - until last year. Big plans for this year, a revitalised orchard and a 'Chinese Garden' using plants introduced by my gardening hero Ernest Wilson!
All this will depend if I can find the time. A friend is having a house built and has asked me to project manage her garden. It is a large house on a small plot and overlooked from all directions - hence the mature trees and shrubs. It's quite daunting but exciting as well, I can't wait.
It is nice to know I have the Irish Gardeners Forum to turn to.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sort of info do you require, suppliers, types to plant, or cost
ajay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome susie d
I'm near Dowra , and very similar conditions to your good self. I have bought a lot of trees in Ardcarne garden centre . Good advice too.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,t be paying top dollar for trees in garden centers buy direct from Growers, e.g wholesale nurseries
stoneygardens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: trees Reply with quote

Hello Susie D welcome and happy gardening
A supplier We have used is futureforests.net in Bantry in Cork
Have a look and see they have a very extensive range mite suit your needs
Best of luck
Eoghan
Susie D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome folks. I am looking for suppliers of mature and semi-mature trees and shrubs at a good price. I have bought from Future Forests before. They are good but for this job, too small and too far away (sounds like an episode of Father Ted).
Can anyone suggest an attractive, quite fast-growing evergreen, pref. conifer to screen the house from the road and to provide a backdrop for other plants viewed from the house?
Spent today in my own garden, in the wood, clearing out the hedge of all the dead wood and letting in some light. Looks a bit bare at the moment, but I think I've done it some good?!
DXOak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susie D and welcome,

If you are looking for native trees, you could try contacting CVNI Fermanagh office: http://www.cvni.org/contact/fermanagh-office/ I have got my trees from CVNI before front eh Clandeboye Estate in Bangor, but no idea if they supply trees at other areas in NI.

My YouTube Channel of nature videos of Ireland: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: