Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Reclaiming raspberry bed

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reclaiming raspberry bed Reply with quote

Was giving a friend a hand today reclaiming part of his garden, came across a raspberry bed which he planted 3 years ago and then forgot about it. We weeded the surface of the bed but some of the weeds were deep rooted, so I suppose they will show again in the near future. Going to stick a mulch of well rotted manure on it next week but was wondering would it be better to dig out the plants carefully and give the bed a good deep digging over and replace the plants before mulching or mulch and spot treat with weed killer as the weeds appear.
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the raspberries are established I would leave them where they are. As the weeds come up zap them.
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dug them up you would probably have to cut them back hard to allow the roots to recover. So you would expect a check in the plants for a season. If they are a summer variety you would definately be sacrificing a crop for a year. Now would be the time to do it though. I've read it is important to keep weeds back on raspberry plants so it might be a good idea to renovate the patch. But make sure you have a prepared site for them to go straight into after the plants are up.
If you leave them and want to mulch, the usual routine would be to topdress them with a feed in early spring and then mulch with rotted manure a couple of weeks later. So maybe hold off on the mulching for now and hand weed every so often.
I just started my first canes this winter so I'm no expert. So that is just from reading I've done.
AJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect, I'll leave well enough alone and kill the blighters as they appear. I thought by mulching with manure would also act as a top dressining. Hmmmmm, what do you suggest I use as a top dressing before manuring.
dormouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that a balanced granular fertiliser around February/March is good. Once this has washed in you can mulch to preserve water and give extra nutrients for the shallow roots. Maybe you could give it a high potash feed then in the summer once the fruit are coming.
AJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect, thanks for that, onwards and upwards Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: