Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Feature tree selection

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Dan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Feature tree selection Reply with quote

Betula Fascination - Chinese Red Birch
Or Prunus serrula - Tibetan Cherry, Mahogany Bark Cherry

Hi all, I'm new here, any feedback is much appriciated, I have a place in my garden I want to fill with a pretty tree with coloured bark, something that will also spread out over time, like the ones above ... Not the utilis jaq. Etc, I like the bronze effect. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons for the above trees... It will be planted at the end of a line of fruit trees and full sun good soil, in Ennis co clare. Thanks in advance.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont say how big your garden is but they are big, Hungry and surface rooting so the may cause problems long term.
Trees with nice bark, Acer davidii (Snake bark maple)
Acer griseum (Paper bark Maple)
Eucalypyus paucifolia "Niphophila,
You could also consider pollarding or stooling Salix (Willow) some have nice stems and twigs this time of year.
How about Morus nigra (Mulberry) it has an interesting fissured bark and looks old in a short period of time and you can collect the fruit.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty big garden. On the sunny south side of the property (gable of the house) side.... I have snowy mespelis and a Joseph rock rowan near the road. , then 2x plums, 2x apples and a few fruit bushes between them. I'm only half way to the back entrance/ gate. Thus the interest in a cherry .. No problems with pipes or building as it's going to be 15 m from the house. The driveway is not paved ( no root issues to worry about) either so a good spread/ crown would be nice but I don't want to block out all the light either.... A gunii had been planned but the frost kills them down here.

I have two crab trees a dogong / olympic flame mountain ash and a crimson king on the other side out front of the house north side... All along that side I have mature natives, ash sycamore and oaks. Along with two native alders and weeping betulas..

I've tried to Keep the south side low to maintain good light. Is the Tibetan cherry a big spreader? It's my preference but I was hopeful that it would stay below 10ft.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherries can be a bit like people depending on the enviornmental conditions They can be big, fat, small, stunted etc......
For more on cherries where better to ask than the Japanese so have a look here, http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_species.html
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Greengage that if you want bronze bark, Tibetan cherry, or Acer griseum are the way to go. A. griseum is a lot easier to prune back if you need to.

I'd also consider Mespilus germanica (Medlar), as it has wonderful flowers, gives a deep bronze leaf in the autumn, and would add interest to your garden.

Birch wise, there is Betula nigra, Betula utilis "Prattii", and even one with bronze bark, the Japanese cherry Birch, Betula grossa. These might be a bit harder to source though.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the guidance and that website is brilliant, lots of food for thought.
I'm leaning towards the Tibetan cherry,,,, I might push it further from the house just in case.... But it will still be right in front of my kitchen window,, a couple years from now around this time of the year,,, some snow and uplighters will be smashing.... Thanks again for the feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: