Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Small pond in a storage box?

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
DXOak
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Small pond in a storage box? Reply with quote

My garden is such a way that I can't have a pond in it. So instead I thought about getting a large plastic storage box to use as a makeshift pond.

I have a storage box that is already full with rainwater and has great diving beetles living in it. What I would like to do is create a pond area in the large plastic storage box like this: http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-Box-and-Lid---110-Litres/001421736,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines%20ASDA%20Direct-_-Google%20Base-_-Storage-_-ASDA%20Box%20and%20Lid%20-%20110%20Litres&istCompanyId=71f4ae42-94c5-4821-aa58-05eff6da2486&istItemId=iixwxtml&istBid=t but not sure how to do it. I want to transfer water and things in it from old storage box to new one so I can have rain water in it, not tap water.

Next, anywhere I could get native pond plants to create the pond as its no good without any of these? I have started growing water mint and could get yellow iris one or two plants, but would like something like algae or duckweed (small amounts) but don't know how to get those

Can anyone help?

My YouTube Channel of nature videos of Ireland: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother has done this successfully for years. Algae and duckweed will arrive, don't worry! You'll be busier removing them for the first couple of years. Marsh marigold will do well also. A good thing to do is to get a jam jar full of water from a natural pond, as it will contain the microlife for your new water feature. Good luck!
DXOak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I know a few ponds, streams and lakes so will do that. Anything I would need to do to the storage box before putting the water in? Think I read somewhere that you line it with a bin liner or something then put compost at the bottom and then stones to have areas for wildlife and plants to live and grow. My current one has a layer of thick mud which when I checked, had earthworms living in it. Didn't think they'd survive underwater.

Can get some marsh marigold easy enough.

My YouTube Channel of nature videos of Ireland: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dxoak.will you post some photos of your little pond project. Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
DXOak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponddigger wrote:
hi dxoak.will you post some photos of your little pond project. Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy

I am going to create a video on what I am doing, but I'll get photos tomorrow. I bought a 62lt storage box (long and not very deep) and I am starting things off in this one. My idea is to have:

A few yellow iris (probably 2-3), a few marsh marigold and something else, maybe either water mint or cuckoo flowers

My only problem is how to stop it overflowing if water rises too much.

ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dxoak. you will have to put a overflow on the plastic box, Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
DXOak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't figure out for a minute or two how to put an overflow. I have recorded a video on this, just need to edit it, and this is far from perfect.

Here is what I have done. Images are labelled so you can see what stage is what.

1) First I have a storage box which I have been collecting water in since September which I am getting water from for the new storage box pond. Better using rain water over tap water if you can help it as its more natural.

2) I bought a 62 litre plastic storage box, its not very deep, but it is long, will do what I want.

3) I figured if I drilled small holes along the top of one side of the box, this would do as an overflow, the water would trickle out of these instead of gushing out if I made a big hole. Keep the water level constant.

4) I put in peat free compost. Its very moist and retains water quite well. I filled 1/3 of the way of the inside of the storage box, putting more at the sides to create a kind of bank where I put some rocks to make this bit higher up so that creatures that do find the pond, like a frog, can come out of the water.

5) Put various sized rocks in the bottom around the edges of the "banks" of the compost in the storage box to keep some of the compost higher than in the middle of the storage box, but should have put smaller stones and more random places.

6) Transferred the water from the yellow box to the new box, but found there wasn't enough compost at the sides of the box to create the banks that come out of the water, but I can work on that if I grow plants like marsh marigold to come out of the water and life can walk onto those. Should take a while for the compost to settle at the bottom of the storage box.

Just have to get some plants (Marsh Marigold, yellow iris and water mint) and put them in it, and get a sample of pond water for some micro life in the box and ready to go.

However, checking the new storage box pond today, had a great diving beetle in it, a male I think. Must have came from the pond at the other side of the field behind my house. Image attached.

Hope some of that helps, I'll post more of my progress when I get plants in it.

PondInABox.jpg
 Description:
Storage box that I have stored water in since September
 Filesize:  212.18 KB
 Viewed:  17254 Time(s)

PondInABox.jpg

62litrebox.jpg
 Description:
62 litre storage box
 Filesize:  204.99 KB

62litrebox.jpg

overflow.jpg
 Description:
Overflow holes in storage box
 Filesize:  121.97 KB

overflow.jpg

compostbox.jpg
 Description:
Compost in the bottom of the storage box
 Filesize:  181.97 KB

compostbox.jpg

stonesbox.jpg
 Description:
Stones in the storage box
 Filesize:  256.92 KB

stonesbox.jpg

waterinstoragebox.jpg
 Description:
Rain water in the storage box
 Filesize:  276.99 KB

waterinstoragebox.jpg

divingbeetle.jpg
 Description:
Diving beetle
 Filesize:  206 KB

divingbeetle.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: