Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Sessile Oak problem

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
DXOak
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Sessile Oak problem Reply with quote

Back in march I bought a 5ft Sessile Oak which was grown from native sessile oak acorns from a conservation site. So far it didn't seem to do that well, it took until late May to begin growing leaves, and when it did, the leaves were small and didn't grow to the size I thought they should. It was bare rooted when I got it.

I moved house in August and transplanted the tree to my new garden which can often get strong wind here. I think now the tree might be getting mildew, possibly from being in an exposed location.

I have got a few bags of mulch (peat free compost) and plan to use it around all my trees. I have them growing in a long line near the fence on the SW side of the garden which gets lots of light. Each tree is spaced 3-5ft apart.

Anything I can do to revive my oak tree so it grows better next year? Where I had it in my last garden, was often quite wet and other times very dry, could that have caused the problem? I transplanted 5 other trees (x2 Grey Sallow, 1 Goat Willow,1 Blackthorn, 1 Bird Cherry) at the same time from my old garden to my new one in August, and don't have any problems with those so I don't think it was moving them that caused the problem as I kept the roots well moistened during transport and prior to planting.

My YouTube Channel of nature videos of Ireland: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness! If it has been moved that many times, it will be stressed! Don't worry about the mildew; it's normal, and won't affect the tree. Make sure that the first root (the root collar) is above ground level- small leaves are a classic sign of planting too deep.

If you do decide to move it again, try to remove the entire root system in one go, and prune any damaged roots cleanly, with sharp secateurs. Try to get hold of some mycorrhizal powder, to help it establish. (Rootgrow, or similar).
DXOak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, its not that deep this time

Quote:
Goodness! If it has been moved that many times, it will be stressed!

I only moved it once, as I did with my other trees with no problems with those so I don't think moving it caused it damage as I kept the roots moist during moving and planting.

Quote:
Try to get hold of some mycorrhizal powder, to help it establish. (Rootgrow, or similar).

I have got stuff like that somewhere, so can put some on it when I go out to mulch my trees again, only mulched a few of them, rest just planted in normal garden soil where grass used to be.

My YouTube Channel of nature videos of Ireland: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: