Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

Ficus benjamina golden king- dropping leaves

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
banner
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Ficus benjamina golden king- dropping leaves Reply with quote

A few months ago I bought a ficus benjamina golden king from Aldi. The leaves were always dropping a bitand i searched and saw this was normal apparently

http://www.ehow.com/info_7824299_ficus-information.html under problems

But now they are really dropping and it is getting bare. I always watered/fed it but not too much. It was on the landing and so i moved it to inside the living room window where there is more light but it seems to me to be dying...
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This plant has traveled from the continent on a lorry and crossed the sea twice. It came from a nursery in either Holland or Germany where it was growing in Ideal conditions. Its problem and only problem is that is needs to be acclimatised to growing here, at the moment it has to contend with Low Light and Low temperatures or extremes of temp fluctuations all bargains are not bargins, In the trade the best indoor plant you can sell is one that dies therefore you have to go back and buy another. but not yet it will survive with TLC.............
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought two in Aldi. I had them in the living room either side of the fireplace (which is never lit). The started losing leaves almost immediately. I moved them out in front of patio door and they have thrived and never lost a leaf since. They don't like too much water, just enough to keep them slightly moist. The room they are in reaches maximum 20 degrees and I think they really like light. Hope this helps.
banner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her Outdoors wrote:
I also bought two in Aldi. I had them in the living room either side of the fireplace (which is never lit). The started losing leaves almost immediately. I moved them out in front of patio door and they have thrived and never lost a leaf since. They don't like too much water, just enough to keep them slightly moist. The room they are in reaches maximum 20 degrees and I think they really like light. Hope this helps.
Thanks well it says on the insert not to let them dry out. Is your patio door much cooler than the house, would it be temp?
Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are actually inside the patio doors and maximum temperature reached there is 20degrees. Most times its around 15 degrees.
Jane Doe
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a golden king and a variageted rubber plant . The golden king has dropped a lot of leave and thought it was dead but there are tiny liitle leaves not visible in pic.

The variagated one has sort of damp light brownish colour along the edges in the circles. anyone know what this is and what is should do.

ficplant.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.15 KB
 Viewed:  8154 Time(s)

ficplant.jpg

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it has variegated edges it is probably Golden Princess and not Golden King and it prefers indirect sunlight move it away from the window it will take time to acclimatise after the shock of the move from a nice warm enviornment in a glasshouse in holland, the darkness in the back of a lorry for 2 days a cold warehouse in Aldi distribution centre, a shop floor, the trip home to your house and all the movement watering, feeding etc......... give it a chance to settle down, without us plants will grow fine without them we are scuppered.
Jane Doe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
if it has variegated edges it is probably Golden Princess and not Golden King and it prefers indirect sunlight move it away from the window it will take time to acclimatise after the shock of the move from a nice warm enviornment in a glasshouse in holland, the darkness in the back of a lorry for 2 days a cold warehouse in Aldi distribution centre, a shop floor, the trip home to your house and all the movement watering, feeding etc......... give it a chance to settle down, without us plants will grow fine without them we are scuppered.
NO its a golden king. I have the label.Andhave it a few months

There are two plants in the pic .
Jane Doe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took all the dead leave off and am going to repot. There are three branches. Could i seperate them and get three from the one or should i repot as they are.

And can i use osmocote in it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: