Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Too late to pick tomatoes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy mistake to make, especially if you didn't buy the plants to begin with and had no labels to look at....I can't say I have noticed yellow tomatoes in the shops either.

I wonder did many people watch Friday's Gardener's World ? Monty Don's little experiment in growing tomatoes proved Gro-Bags gave him a better harvest than clay pots or plastic pots. He was even honest enough to admit that wasn't the result he was hoping for....!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so gracious Sive but I still feel like an idiot. It was sooooooo embarrassing this morning. Have to say that I never warmed to Monty Don. Geoff Hamilton was my hero. I have two of his books, one of them signed by the man himself. Watched virtually all of his programmess and he fanned the fire in me that took another twenty years or so to light (just didn't have the space).

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE

Last edited by tagwex on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Geoff Hamilton was an amazing gardener and person, and the BBC have struggled to fill his boots all these years. I'm not surprised he lit that fire in you, I think that was exactly what he did so well.
I've grown to like Monty Don as a person, but somehow he doesn't inspire in quite the same way.
Margo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Flowerdew is very down to earth and utilises things rather than go out and buy. However Geoff Hamilton was my favourite as well. I have his rose in my garden. A beautiful pink old fashioned scented rose.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it was Geoff and Barnsdale for me all the way, just no comparison. He had a passion and an interest that was infectious and made it all look so easy. So many little projects made up from bric-a -brac, sometimes they didn't look the best but they were cheap and practical. I could watch Alan Titchmarsh too but still not a patch on Geoff. I religiously watched Gardeners World when Geoff was on but Monty turned me off of it - so boring. Haven't watched one episode in 5 or 6 years now.

Margo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was like you with Gardeners World and found it totally boring but this last series seems to be more basic. Very down to earth and showing how to do cuttings and a lot in the veg garden. Perhaps something was said and they had to do something rather than plant stones or paint things blue.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really watch telly, so rarely see gardeners' world. I religiously listen to gardeners question time on the bbc radio 4 website, as I can listen whenever I like. I must agree with Margo. Gardening for me is about growing and caring for plants. Patios, decking, painted carpentry etc. do not interest me in the slightest. That's not gardening, that's building, and as soon as I even hear the name Dermot Gavin, the things on mute, and I go and do the washing up or something until it's over!
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder whatever became of some of the monstrosities that Diarmuid Gavin created on TV years ago.......imagine trying to sell a house with one of his more extreme creations lurking in the back "garden". He definitely lost the run of himself towards the end...it had almost nothing to do with gardening....
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that turned me off the programme was Carol Klein, aaarrrrrgggghhhh that voice was enough for me to switch off but I did enjoy the eccentric Bob Flowerdew, he was a a laugh. Is she still on it? Also moving to purpose built gardens with very expensive infrastructure rather than the presenters own home garden lost a lot of the appeal for me. It was as if it were all our gardens and we grew along with it.

Margo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes she's still on it. Luckily I tape it so when she comes on I wizz it through. I agree her voice grates you doesn't it.
I always remember Bob Flowerdew making flower tubs out of old tyres. You cut them round the outside and with a lot of strength turn them inside out. We had 2 old tyres and did it and they are still going after years.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one programme in particular that our Bob was extolling the usage of his bodily fluids!!!

Sive

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not just me getting old and grumpy..... I didn't realise other people also found Carol Klein hard to listen to..... I thought it was just me........
I like Nigel though.......
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a friends house today and he showed me around the garden. In the greenhouse was these 'strange' looking tomatoes, he was given the seed but has no idea what the variety is. They are quite large, 50 to 60mm long and are not juicy at all, in fact rather dry and do not taste all that good either. His mother thinks that they are a roasting tomato. Can anyone help or shed some light on this please.

20130912_161419.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  324.38 KB
 Viewed:  10211 Time(s)

20130912_161419.jpg

Margo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a plum tomato
sgmgarden
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are rather strange looking, can't say I've seen them before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: