Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Cutting back large beech tree. Who can help?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nellyelle
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Cutting back large beech tree. Who can help? Reply with quote

Hi- looking for advice please. I have a huge Beech tree, probably 200 yrs old on the edge of my property.(Some portion on my boundary-beside a back access road on a Galway city estate) It is leaning a bit and a few neighbours have voiced their concern about how safe it is, particularly in the recent high winds we have been having. Is it my responsibility to have it trimmed back or would the council or some other other body(Coilte?) be responsible. the tree was there when our family moved in in 1956.If it is my responsibility I recon it is a huge project as it is a really large tree. Any idea of cost? Free in lieu for keeping the wood?No chance I'm sure!!!Can't afford to do it...... Thanks any help would be great....
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm not sure. I think that in Ireland, it is all your responsibility. Cost? At least a thousand. You cannot just "cut back" a beech that old. I'm familiar with British tree law, but not sure on Irish - the grass outside out house belongs to the council, but we are expected to maintain it at our expense. I suggest that you contact Kevin Burchill @ Tree Care Ireland in Carlow, and ask his advice. There is no way that you are going to be able to get climbers in just for the wood because of the legal implications, and the workers' insurance.
IntoTrees

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your concern is safety, the cheapest thing to do is get a Tree Inspection done by a qualified arborist. The chances are a 200 year old Beech will be sound enough. Make sure the arborist has got professional indemnity insurance, then if it fails after a good report either their or your insurnace would have to pick up any bill for damage and clear up. Reducing mature Beech trees is pretty much a waste of time. You can only take a very small amount off them without putting them in jeopardy, cost is likely to be at least the bones of 1000 euros and will need doing again after 5-7 years. Single tree inspection should be approximately 200 euros. International Society of Arboriculture is a good place to find an Arborist: http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: