Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Winter Garden

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Winter Garden Reply with quote

This year I am very impressed by the Johnstown range, and in terms of delivery etc. find them far better than Mr Middletons.

Garlic I got asked how many one should plant, I figure, average house one bulb per week so say 50 cloves.

Onions - Autumn onion sets can be planted now for fully ripe onions in June, radar are particularly good in Connemara.

Leek sets - plant well apart so you can intercrop with lettuce in the spring.

Chinese leaves like Pakchoi and Tatsoi can be planted to give fresh greens to winter stir fries, great with loads of chilli, garlic and ginger - nice fresh flavours in winter without the food miles.

For crop rotation some legumes are also good.

Broad beans like Aquadulce, Aquadulce Claudia and Imperial Green Longpod towards the end of the month.

Peas Round seeded peas can be grown from October/November sowings. An organic variety is the Douce Provence. Other varieties include Feltham First, Meteor or Pilot (probably the hardiest of all varieties).

Spring cabbages sets are good for planting out now.

This is the time to plant rhubarb plants, or split up old crowns

Flying home Tuesday so sorry for the long delay between food postings, will get to work on that ASAP

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/vegetable-plants--new-autumn-range/229cat.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: