Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

Dracenia and fertiliser

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
banner
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Dracenia and fertiliser Reply with quote

http://www.ehow.com/how_5625839_care-dracaena-house-plants.html

says dracenia should not be fertilised. Has anyone any experience of if this is correct.? i have 2dracenia, 1 seems to be ok but does not get any bigger. The other lost all leaves and i put some osmocote and watered well. i know they do not need much water but my house is seemingly very dry , gas heating I think, and the soil was all dried out. It seems to be recovering
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: do not fertilise dracaena Reply with quote

Do what it says on the tin Banner. Don't do what it don't say.

I have had two different varients of dracaena in my bedroom for some years and they quietly get on with their job of soaking up airborne toxins while I sleep. They get watered sparingly and and are kept in a light but shady north facing window directly over a radiator and at a fairly constant temperature of around 22ÂșC.

My main concession is that their pots stand in other pots so there is airspace beneath them. (See attached picture taken 10mins ago) This also means that over enthusiastic watering falls through to the bottom pot. I will not rewater them unless the bottom pot is dry and over the years I think this has been why they survived.

I try to use rainwater as flourine which is often added to tap water will turn the leaves brown and they will fall off. BTW, the BOTTOM leaves will turn brown and fall off naturallyat the rate of maybe 5 to 10 a month on mine. NEVER add fertilizer to indoor plants unless specifically told to. They don't need it as they produce their own nutrition sparingly and will get enough from occasional potting on and associated soil change.

DSCF0280.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  452.64 KB
 Viewed:  2316 Time(s)

DSCF0280.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: