Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

My 'baby' has arrived (20 x 10 foot PT) - Need help now!

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Anzac11
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: My 'baby' has arrived (20 x 10 foot PT) - Need help now! Reply with quote

Hallo

I've just received my PT and a friend of mine will be building the raised beds in it for me. Today (if the wind dies down a bit), I'll be digging the trench to burry the floor flaps... thanks to your forum I've already seen photos of how it's done so that question is answered ...thanks.

My big question now is...

Can anyone give me an idea or plan how to lay out my raised beds in my new 'baby'. I am thinking of having the 'high' plants down one side and around the back (tomato area) with a little bench on one corner. On the other side I want single raised beds (only one plank of wood high) for low growning plants such as straberries and such, and above that about waist high a narrow work bench running the whole length to the bench in the corner. Have looked online to see as my friend would like an idea what I'm looking for but can't find anything similar.
Is this because it's a bad idea to have the shelf? I am planning on growing cuttings from shrubs to grow for my garden and maybe selling later when I have enough for myself. That's why I'd like the shelf/worktop area for them.

Sorry if I have any terms wrong but still brand new to this. Thanks in advance for any idea, help or even drawing. Smile

My Polytunnel.jpg
 Description:
My baby :)
 Filesize:  77.08 KB
 Viewed:  4923 Time(s)

My Polytunnel.jpg

Anzac11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Designed top view of layout with Photoshop. Will it work? Reply with quote

Hallo again,

After posting my first one. I decided to sit down and design the outlay of the PT with my Photoshop. I'm attaching it here. Will you have a look and tell me what you think. For example, will the shelves and workbench work or are they not a good idea. All ideas and opinions are welcome .(I don't bite)... Laughing

Polytunnel top view design numbered and details small.JPG
 Description:
My design
 Filesize:  110.19 KB
 Viewed:  4893 Time(s)

Polytunnel top view design numbered and details small.JPG

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about polytunnels but, to me, your design looks very good.

Will you still be able to open the door at the far end on hot days?

I doubt you'll be doing much sitting on item No. 7. Smile

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Anzac11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
I don't know anything about polytunnels but, to me, your design looks very good.

Will you still be able to open the door at the far end on hot days?

I doubt you'll be doing much sitting on item No. 7. Smile

LOL Kindredspirit. I'm sure you're right about No. 7, but I could use it to rest my watering can when I need a break. Smile

As for opening the door. This tunnel comes with a double wide door but I intend to only use the side by the No. 7 to enter unleass I'm carting in wider loads. It has 12 windows in all for ventalation so those will be open on hot days to make a nice draft throughout the PT. Hope that will be ok, as I'm still learning about this.

Was going to show side view of my design but could not be bothered using 3d in my Illustrator. Me being major lazy, but at least what I had in my head is now down on paper.

Was just wondering, what can one grow during September to Jan in a PT? Don't even know that. Still loads to research but was planning to do shrub cuttings for now anyhow. Any advise would be great, thanks.
galwaybeginner
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be sure sun side is where 1 is - otherwise your bench on the other side will block light.

I've a similar size and have raised beds along both sides. I had staging on sunny side (foolishly) first year, but have had it on other side since. I sow strawberries, caulis, carrots and cucmbers on the sunny side and have tomatoes, beans, and other tall stuff on the far side, apart from the staging section which has onions and carlic under and various items on it, depending on time of year.

along the edges at the two ends I have herbs - easy to get at.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best gtuide is put the tallest growing crops at the Northern side of tunnel and low crops like lettuces and peppers on the Southern side. Using raised beds robs you of height for tall growing plants straight away. Raised beds keep gardens tidy and are easy to manage but have a few disadvantages including more frequent watering. Overwntered crops include lettuces and greens herbs salad onions
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
dormouse
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind me butting in, but I built a 20 x 10 foot tunnel myself in September. The layout is simple with 2 raised beds along each side (single plank high, 9 inches). I get the point about putting tall growing plants along the northern side and will employ that in year 1. But what about crop rotation? I don't fancy digging out the soil in subsequent years and don't want to use pots and grow bags as they will be difficult to keep watered. Major concern would be tomatoes of course. I was hoping that the ambient light would be sufficient for growth even if I grow tall plants in year 2 on the south (sunny) side. Bad idea? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: