Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Goji Berries

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
spudulike
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Goji Berries Reply with quote

Hi All.
I planted two Goji berry plants last year and they have really thrived, in fact they have thrived just a little bit too much. I never knew they had such a sprawling growing habit. no sign of any flowers or berries. any advice on trimming/shaping these.
Thanks
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure with regards to trimming, but it'll be 2 - 3 years before they have fruit and it's around 1kg per plant Smile expecting some off mine next year, which are going at an alarming rate Shocked
spudulike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, I,ll need a machete to get up my garden if they keep going the way they are.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: rampant gojis Reply with quote

http://www.jaydax.co.uk/imho/goji.htm

I'll have some of that and a machete to get at them then. Oh and it makes fine wine

Poppies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: pruning gojis Reply with quote

Hi, don't be afraid to cut back your Gojis as much as you like, I've heard some people even cut them into shapes. You can use the prunings as cuttings just by pushing them into the ground or a pot of compost, my plants produce their flowers on the side branches so the more you prune the bushier the plant will get because it produces more side growth.
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I heard something about Giji berry plants being invasive. Not sure if it would be as bad as bamboo and Japanese knotweed.
Poppies

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they can cover an area really quickly, they have roots that go down as far as you let them. Two years ago I dug out all the gojis from my 50foot polytunnel and I must have left roots in the ground because half of the tunnel is covered again, I don't worry about them I just root them and sell them on-line !!, so every one is a winner.
spudulike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much lads for all the great replies. With regard to the cuttings rooting, I cut a long branch from one of them to support a Chilli plant in my hobby tunnel and lo and behold, didn't it start growing.I couldn't believe it. Poppies, I will deffo be taking the secateurs to them, i presume it will have little effect on the yields when they start to produce?
Poppies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goji's love being pruned back, it just encourages them to make more side shoots and this is where most fruit is produced, mind you I would not prune between may and Aug/sept because you want the plants to set flowers so it is best not to disturb them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: