Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Vegetables on north-east facing balcony

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
irishfairy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Vegetables on north-east facing balcony Reply with quote

Hey guys,
so I had this bright idea today to start growing vegetables on my balcony. I am entirely clueless about plants so I need loads of advice if anybody would be so kind to give some!
So my balcony is north-east facing, it doesn't get a lot of sun except for the morning (if the weather permits) so I'm looking for veg that would grow in the shade. It has a roof as we're not at the very top of the building, so it's dry and half the front has a big glass panel across so it doesn't get very windy and still the most amount of light. I don't have any pots yet and I don't have any boxes hanging from the railing but that will of course be arranged as soon as I know what exactly to do.
So what kind of vegetables can I grow in these conditions (also herbs, possibly as well on the sitting room window sill, facing the same way as the balcony) and at this time of year, and also at any time next year? What equipment do I need for them, i.e. depth of pots, size of pots etc?
Would greatly appreciate any help I can get with this!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Vegetables on north-east facing balcony irish fairy Reply with quote

Go for it. If the balcony gets LIGHT that is as important as sunlight. Starting in August (which is harvest time) is not exactly the best time. You might try a winter cabbage plant in a pot. Just keep it alive by not drowning it. It'll grow a little during Sept. maybe into early October before going dormant til late Feb. 2012 when it'll start up again and you will have a head of cabbage for Easter. Maybe you have access to the roof? Or might be let up there. Plenty sun and light and rain.
irishfairy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm way off track at this time of year... I'm such a city and apartment block child Very Happy
Will try the winter cabbage, thank you!
Would herbs still go?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vegetables on north-east facing balcony Reply with quote

Research for the next growing season irishfairy......

Window box vegetable growing for gardeners with limited space.

Window box vegetables, What you will need & how to put it all together.

Vegetable seed sowing and watering for containers.

A series of article I wrote on the very subject you are interested in.
I hope you find them helpful.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
irishfairy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million for that, very interesting and helps a lot for such a non-green newbie like me. Will prepare and stock up for next year rather than start now...
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irishfairy,

You are not too late to plant some herbs, and maybe a few scallions on your balcony. If you want to try a few herbs you can pop along to homebase to the grow your own section, and pick a few to start off. If you are successful with any then next year you can grow them from seed.

Just remember to bring them indoors during very cold weather. All you need is light.

Have a go either way
irishfairy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great thanks! I love scallions, I use them a lot, so I will definitely try that and a couple of herbs. The herbs can go on the window sill of my sitting room as it faces out the same way as the balcony.
And then I will start with some seeds indoors next year like I have read about before moving them outside to get a head start...

My problem is that if I have an idea I want to do it right away and in this case it's just not possible...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: