Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Germinating and growing trees from seed.

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
working class
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Germinating and growing trees from seed. Reply with quote

Hi all, Im new on here so hello to everyone. Hope I find you all well and happy.
I Have many questions if I may?
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get antifungal treatment to mix through soil or peat as im planting my tree seeds in a week or two or three, and what price is the stuff normally?
Also what type of antifungal treatments are out there to protect against the likes of mildew etc...
I am going to pre chill a few tree seeds in the fridge in order to germinate also and I'm wondering do I need to spray them with antifungal inside the container in order to avoid seed mildew?
Does anyone know if rainwater stored for more than a few weeks can go stagnant and give trees or shrubs diseases? Or is this just true for edible vegetables?
Also if anyone has lots of used seed trays & 2 litre or bigger plant pots lying around they are not using or going to be thrown away I can swap you some milled peat for them if in my area.
Also what kind of soil would have a low PH level or is it possible to buy a low ph compost at all? I know peat is around PH 5 or lower but this is too acidic for some trees and shrubs.
Finally when mixing sand through peat for sowing seeds what kind of sand is good to use? and what exactly do people mean when they say SHARP sand? Is it normal plastering sand? and what ratio has it to be mixed to?

Sorry for the string of questions but I needed to ask as I'm unsure about those things and Id like to be successful and germinating the seeds.
I don't expect answers to all but some help would be great.

Kindest regards,
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a fungal treatment try ordinary cinnamon,.
Add viniger to rainwater if yiou think theres a problem.
Try any nursery or garden centre for free pots or a local landscaper they will be thrilled to get rid of them.
Its not plastering sand any gritty sand will do so long as water can percolate through it. 50 50 mix should do,
short snappy answers cause im lazy at moment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: