Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Just finished pond

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Dave Novice
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Just finished pond Reply with quote

Please post any thoughts or suggestion

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are the slates there?
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Dave Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming your talking about the pile at the back they are my miserable attempt at a water feature i guess ill have to invest in one cant really complain this whole build has cost me the price of the timber .

The ones in a circle shape are there to hide the lining of the pond .
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still make a water feature out of your slates. You just have to think differently. No need to go away and buy something.

You could cover the surround of slates with gravel and plant sempervivums in the gravel. That'd look nice (and different too! )

vulkan
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has "structure and neatness" I guessed that the slates around the edge were to hide the liner. But they don't "look right", not laid like that with gravel (or what looks like gravel) on them.

Perhaps you could smash them up and then use them, like your "water fall"

A bit like

Your waterfall really needs support, and something to stop the water running where it shouldn't.

But who says you have to have a waterfall? why not have a pipe protruding just above the surface with water making a small arc ?

Like above, but only the one jet.
Dave Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what your saying about the slate' the main reason outside of covering the plastic was because its a straight drop down from the edges i did not grade them back although it does look a little dull maybe once plants go in it might jazz it up a bit. and as kindredspirit has said i can also cover it out a bit more with the pea gravle.

The reason for the water fall well to be honest it was something i had my heart set nothing massive just a nice flow into the pond,

Quote:
Your waterfall really needs support, and something to stop the water running where it shouldn't.

your absolutely right i just cant get my head around how to keep it all in place and to get the control of water
vulkan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put any more gravel on if I were you, It stands a good chance of falling into the pond, broken slate is flat and should not move as much as gravel. I will give it some more thought.

Regarding the waterfall you need a couple of things.

Some way to support the slate (in your case) and then you need a way to re direct the water back into the pool. (Pond liner)

Off the top of my head, I would say cement.*
A "conical pile" and push the slate into it, and some where near the top would be the outlet from the pump.
The slates would all have to be at a slight angle downward and you would also need to turn the flow rate right down to avoid a jet where you don't want one.

The reason is that a waterfall has a "header pool" not just to look pretty but to reduce the water pressure but keep the volume, but with a small water fall you may get away with just reducing the flow. Another example is the water blade

Above is a "water blade" the water comes in lower down than the height of the outlet, then it reduces its velocity, then falls over the edge creating a nice effect.

*If you do use cement you will have to seal it with a pond sealant as the lime can affect / kill the fish
ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: pond Reply with quote

hi dave ,nice job ,like the lads said keep playing with the slates till you get what you want ,you could use waterfall foam to stick the slates to geather so the water flows over the slates,again nice job Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
Dave Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so i decide to chamge thing up a little could not get my head around the waterfall i am thinking that i might of been stuck for space so decide to go with the water fountain.

As always constructive feedback welcome

Cheers
David
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a million times better. Very well done.

You could plant Creeping Jenny among the rocks and solar lights so that it'll eventually hide the liner.

Dave Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i am very please with how its starting to look

kindredspirit I found a chap today selling Sempervivum Ciliosum he sold me 4 pots for a tenner but there is 20 plus sprogs comming of them is this a good deal or have i been stung and am i best to keep them indoors untill next spring or should i plant them now.

Also picked up to water lillies the other day after checking in so many garden centres and being quoted 16+ euro per plant these were a tenner for too i thought it was to good to be true but i could not leave them behind and as it turns out one of them is a tropical lilly and from what have read wont grow in our climate is there any truth in this.

Regards
David
vulkan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No contest.

Much better. Very Happy

Question, what are the 3 green pipes for?

I would also suggest that as a liner does not like being exposed to the sun (when we get any) could you not move the rocks forward slightly more, and raise the water level too?
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Novice wrote:
I found a chap today selling Sempervivum Ciliosum he sold me 4 pots for a tenner but there is 20 plus sprogs comming of them is this a good deal or have i been stung and am i best to keep them indoors untill next spring or should i plant them now.

They should be hardy. Mine survived outside last winter. You can pull off the sprogs and plant them individually. Rarely if ever water them after their initial watering after being planted. They're tough cookies.

They like being in well drained soil or sand or whatever so beside a pool can suit them provided they aren't splashed by water. The better the soil, the bigger the rosettes.

Quote:
Also picked up to water lillies the other day after checking in so many garden centres and being quoted 16+ euro per plant these were a tenner for too i thought it was to good to be true but i could not leave them behind and as it turns out one of them is a tropical lilly and from what have read wont grow in our climate is there any truth in this.

Tropical water lilies are a no-no, as far as I know. Someone with more knowledge could advise better but I think, you'll have to store them in a water container indoors for the winter. (I really don't know about tropical water lilies.)

Dave Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much vulkan and no there is nothing to stop me moving the stone further out if it stops raining ill see about sorting that tomorrow, the three green pipes are part of a home made filter system i did. You see i could not find a suitable filter everything was too big and powerful for the size of my pond so i took an old power head that i had from an internal filter that i had for my fish tank connected it up to one part of the green hose which connects to a 10 litre bucket at the bottom filled it with media and the other two send the water back to the pond. I tried to use to help make the water fall however it was not powerful enough to force the water up to anything above six inches over the pond.

Ill get onto planting Sempervivum tomorrow weather permitting and i thought that was the case with the lilies bit of a shame guess i can't keep the novice in me suppressed to much.
Thanks kindredspirit

Regards
David
vulkan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Novice wrote:
.........i could not find a suitable filter everything was too big and powerful for the size of my pond

Oh, I see.

Thing is, you can never have enough filtration, you can however have a pump that is too powerful, but you just turn it down. Smile

It does look nice, but without a UV and filter the water stands a good chance of turning green Crying or Very sad (But you could always wait to see am I right)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: