Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Home made pond

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jamman1701
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Home made pond Reply with quote

Hey all

I just thought I'd share these videos of a pond I built this past summer in my garden.

Building a water feature like a pond can seem like a big, expensive undertaking but if you are smart about it you can do some things that will save you a lot of time, effort and money. This pond took me 6 Days to build. I hope you all enjoy.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them best I can!

Day 1 http://youtu.be/YS6zkxOLwzw

Day 2 http://youtu.be/juJZIf6YLTw

Day 3 http://youtu.be/MOTRYdUMUNE

Day 4 http://youtu.be/rmFnstQ7Vyo

Day 5 http://youtu.be/jdA6rPV2a3k

Day 6 http://youtu.be/lZcf2SuAFSw

vulkan
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in being honest, so I have to ask the following

What is there to stop any of the "rocks" from falling down?
Around the pond perimeter they appear to be stacked in columns, not interlinked for strength. Sand and cement would have also helped.

Like wise the waterfall, what is to stop anything from knocking the rocks over, and also more to the point, what is to stop the water from "tracking" away from the pool. A waterfall like that should be built on a mound to give support and a liner under the rocks to make sure all the water returns to all the pond all the time.

Its also very small I would say no more than 2 goldfish as they do grow quite a lot.

Using a bright yellow "parts bin" for a waterfall makes it look ............(sorry but it does)

I am sorry but if you are going to build a pond there is only one way, and that's not it, but with a few alterations it could look good.

Its not mine, but it is a pond with a wall just like yours.

Please also note: I have nothing personal against you as I don't know you, its just you did ask if any one has any questions.....
jamman1701

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Home made pond Reply with quote

The stones around the pond are tightly stacked and have a wooden piece between the steaks holding them down, trust me you are not going to knock those stones down unless you have a sledge hammer.

The waterfall is cemented together and has a foundation in the ground so nothing is going anywhere, The parts bin is hidden with stones and rocks so.................... you cannot see it.

Its not loosing any water other than natural evaporation on the sunny days. There is a pond liner under the stones and I took the time and worked on the angle of elevation of the water flow back into the pond so nothing is lost

You might not agree with how I built my pond and that's ok, your entitled to your opinion But there is more than one way ''to skin a cat'' and the proof is in my garden. A Home made pond that is enjoyable to sit at and there are 22 goldfish in there and they have all the room in the world Smile

Thanks

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you a pic of it when it's totally finished?
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
jamman1701

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Home made pond Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
Have you a pic of it when it's totally finished?

Here is a pic of the finished waterfall Smile

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.94 KB
 Viewed:  4735 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: home made pond Reply with quote

hi JAM,like the videos of the construction of your home made pond ,how much were the materials for the pond Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
jamman1701

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: home made pond Reply with quote

ponddigger wrote:
hi JAM,like the videos of the construction of your home made pond ,how much were the materials for the pond Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy

Hey ponddigger

Glad you enjoyed the vids Smile

If you look at the info below the "day 6" video you will see the price breakdown but I think it came to about 800 euros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: