Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello from county Tyrone trying to correct mistakes

Most Recent Posts Cats and Gardening
Last post: Sue Deacon
ID for tree?
Last post: Sue Deacon
What is this plant guys
Last post: Greengage
re potato spraying
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
hasgotalot2learn 8-)
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Hello from county Tyrone trying to correct mistakes Reply with quote

Embarassed
Hello everyone this is just the place i need.

Very happy to have found you all.
I planted 4 fruit trees 6 years ago and thought they would just grow as trees do no problem.
so now I have a victoria plum that is full of sawfly and suffering from not being fed.
There are three large suckers growing from it which seem healthy enough and very large so I am hoping to use those as root stock.

Also a cherry tree that seems to have canker.
An apple that has very few leaves and a few apples.
A pear tree that is growing mostly sideways with lots of healthy leaves and a few pears.
I plan to borrow a camera and upload a video of this being very careful not to show my very embarrassed face!

From what I have read so far;
My trees need fed,
The soil is in need of drainage-it is very heavy.
I should not have put the trimmings from my privot hedge so close to the trees- i thought i was being good encouraging hedgehogs etc. but turns out the insects it attracts love to munch on trees.
I should have hens to scratch up the ground and eat the sawfly at the base of the trees before they hatch.
I should have planted trees that like heavy slow draining soil.
Ok so that is what i "know" so far.
Problem is i started to cut off the dodgy looking leaves on the plum tree but most of the branches came off too which suggests the tree is dead-that seems strange as it was full of plums but also brown spotted leaves.
When i brought the trees i was told they are all small growing trees that would not grow over 6 foot tall-they are all well over 6 foot except for the sideways pear tree.
my garden is 110 foot long and south facing.

I would like organic methods to put things right and wonder do i need to cut down the trees.

I have met a person who turns wood for a hobby so at least the wood will not go to waste if they do need to be removed.

Until i upload a video/photos asking for advice may be putting the cart before the horse.

Just saying hello until i get hold of a camera and post photos.
P.S. Confession is not good for the soul-not in this case hoping it will be good for the garden instead.

Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum,

I don't have any info that may help with your fruit trees, but I always believe that every shrub and tree can be saved. I am sure some of the other gardeners on the forum will help you. So don't dig up anything yet!!

I had a problem with my apple trees and cut them back and they are now extremely healthy and I expect a good crop next year. I got the advice on exactly what to do with them here from Michael Brennock.

Sit back and wait for the advice that I am sure will come your way and use the google search bar at the top of the page, extremely useful for old threads.

Enjoy your garden
hasgotalot2learn 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Maeve,
Thank you, I am hoping to save the trees I know the suckers need removed which worries me as they are big and close to the "parent" tree.
the branches snapping off so easily is also a worry.
i do think the root systems must be good or they would not have produced so much fruit-that is the plum tree as the cherry and apple didn't really have much on them.
the pear tree is healty looking but needs attention also.
we planted the trees when we moved into the house-one tree for each of us-so letting them die would be espically sad.
i should be able to borrow a camera and post photos on the 30th.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: